Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I wish I would have never worn contacts!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wish I would have never worn contacts!

Okay. I need to vent, and this seems to be the only place that I can do that. My friends and family care about me, but I just can't call them and cry to them about this issue. I have done that one too many times, and it's wearing on them. I've tried to deal with it on my own, and I am on an antidepressant because this dry eye problem is wearing me down. I just need to say a few things.

I wish that I had never worn contacts. I wore them from the time that I was 19 until I was almost 26. The last year or so that I wore contacts I felt that they were sticky, irritating, and dry. I just didn't know that they were dry at the time. I often had people comment to me that my eyes looked kind of red, and I responded that I just had allergies even though I later found out that I really don't have any allergies. I was simply too vain to stop wearing the contacts. I should have just stopped wearing them, but hindsight is always 20/20. I also took two new medications at the same time that I was becoming (or already was) contact lens intolerant. Those meds put me over the edge into a state of severe dryness. My story sounds pretty similar to Sazy's account of how she got her dry eye, except I don't have any facial pain, just eye pain.

I really regret wearing the contacts and taking the meds, but it probably doesn't do any good to punish myself for doing so because I really had absolutely no way of knowing what I was doing to myself. I feel angry that there isn't a cure for dry eye or at least a way to make the pain go away. What will it take to get the medical community to really focus on this issue? It's more than just an annoying problem -- it threatens one's quality of life and probably has other health implications as the stress and pain could make one more likely to become ill from other health conditions.

I felt hopeless when I read the posts in the doctor forum the last few days because a couple of my fears were addressed. I worry about what my eyes are going to be like in the future. What happens when I go through menopause? I have few tears now, and I can't afford to lose anymore. Secondly, I worry about whether there will ever be more ways to treat dry eye. If dry eye takes a backseat to other eye conditions, where is the hope that there will be something someday to alleviate our suffering?

Okay, I am sorry for that venting. I know that I am not the only one on this bulletin board that is worried, scared, and tired of dealing with the pain. I really do try hard to be positive and to live each day one day at a time. I am trying to focus on other people instead of my pain, and, for the most part, I think that I do okay. And, I feel really guilty for even posting this, but I really needed to get this out, and I didn't have anyone else to talk to today.

I promise I'll be more positive in the future, but today is my day to be sad. Please don't feel obligated to respond. I just needed to get some thoughts and feelings out.

Thanks for listening. It helped to vent.

-Julie
    Last edited by Julie1; 12-Mar-2007, 16:56.

Sorry

I was just reading over my post, and I wish that there was some way to delete it from the forum. I'm kind of embarrassed for venting so much.

I am sorry for unloading. I know that everyone else is worried and also hurting. I just had a really hard day today and really wish that I could go back in time and change things. I know that we all wish we could go back to before the dry eye days. I just need to remember that I have a lot of other good things going for me even if I have dry eyes.

Again, I am sorry for venting so much. Thanks for listening.

Comment

I wish that I had never worn contacts. I wore them from the time that I was 19 until I was almost 26. The last year or so that I wore contacts I felt that they were sticky, irritating, and dry. I just didn't know that they were dry at the time. I often had people comment to me that my eyes looked kind of red, and I responded that I just had allergies even though I later found out that I really don't have any allergies. I was simply too vain to stop wearing the contacts. I should have just stopped wearing them, but hindsight is always 20/20. I also took two new medications at the same time that I was becoming (or already was) contact lens intolerant. Those meds put me over the edge into a state of severe dryness. My story sounds pretty similar to Sazy's account of how she got her dry eye, except I don't have any facial pain, just eye pain.
      Julie, I'm glad you decided to vent. Sometimes when we are overwhelmed by guilt, along with depression about the dry eye issue, we tend to be too hard on ourselves.

**I saw Julie's second post after I had responded to her first post. Since my post was so new, I was able to "edit it." In the spirit of Julie's second post, I've shortened my response to a couple of sentences. I didn't want to add to any discomfort she may be having.**
      Last edited by Lucy; 12-Mar-2007, 18:09.
      Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Thanks, Lucy, for your response. I really appreciate your support and advice.
        It really means a lot to me to know that you took the time to help me feel better. Everything you said made sense, and I appreciate your positive outlook. I need to be much better about looking at things more positively, and I am going to try to do things without thinking about how much my eyes hurt.

Thanks again, Lucy, for reaching out. It means a lot.

-Julie

Comment

You can always "edit" a post

Julie, you CAN edit a post. I don't know if it can be deleted all the way. If I remember right, you go to your post and look in the right hand bottom corner, you'll see a box that says "edit." That opens the message window where you can makes changes.

Your post got me thinking about my own contact lense use. That, in combination with a recent post about "neurotrophic keratitis" by Dr. Latkany, made me confused--and I posted a question to him (soon to appear in his forum section, I hope).

And it's totally OK to come here and vent.

It doesn't sound logical for your contact use to be the sole cause of your dry eyes. I always think of the Law of Troubleshooting: what was the last thing you did before the problem started? Sounds like taking those meds did it.

Take Care,

C66

Comment

Julie - while this forum and the web in general is great for information and this BB is very supportive, one thing that can be lost to new dry eye sufferers (and by new I mean folks who are still coming to grips with dry eyes) is that many people with dry eyes do get better.

In your post you state that you are 26 and worrying about how your dry eyes will worsen from how they feel today to when you get into your 40's. My thought is that once you find a treatment plan that works well for your eyes, your eyes/inflammation/water components will improve and by the time you are 27, you should be feeling a lot better than you feel today. Eye healing/improvement is a slow process (i.e. improvement gauged in months, not days or weeks) that requires patience/diligence on the patients part, but it can/will get better for many people.

I know when I was very depressed when my DES set in 9+ months ago, I felt like there was little hope and was wondering how I would live the remaining years of my life with such painful eyes.

I still contend with the negative effects of dry eyes, but my present energy is more focused on the fact that if I keep doing things that help my eyes, they will get better in the future. I guess this is something that can happen when a) there are some gradual improvements in ones DES and b) one gets out of the frequent depression mode/improves sleep.

I know this is easier said than done, but just remember that you should improve. Just keep learning, be your eyes advocate, and don't be afraid to tweak your routine periodically if you are not showing signs of improvement over a period of time. Best. YGB

Comment

Vent? You call that a vent?

Julie, venting is one of DryEyeTalk's many raisons d'etre (literally, "reasons to eat" -- oops, no, scratch that).

If you poke around the forums, you'll find a good many "vents" more "ventilated" than yours (not that I want to encourage a contest ). It comes with the territory, so don't worry a bit about yours. We encourage everyone to share what they're thinking and feeling. Both for those writing and those reading, "venting" can be illuminating, encouraging, and cathartic. In addition, and perhaps most importantly, there is a very real probability that someone will be able to help.

BTW, I'm a long-time contact-lens wearer (20 years?), and I appreciate your food for thought. I gotta admit, I don't like the idea of going back to glasses (darn ego), but it's time I start thinking in that direction. TANSTAAFL is a b*tch.

Just so y'all know, while we do allow members to edit their own posts, we generally don't allow members to delete entire threads. We have made exceptions upon request, but only with good reason and only when there haven't been any responses to the initial post. If anyone ever has a concern in this regard, don't hesitate to e-mail me.

Comment

The Almighty:

BTW, I'm a long-time contact-lens wearer (20 years?), and I appreciate your food for thought. I gotta admit, I don't like the idea of going back to glasses (darn ego), but it's time I start thinking in that direction.
                I trust the Almighty will not be traipsing to a lasik surgeon to "fix" his myopia!

I want to know what all the flabberblabber stands for.

Lucy

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Julie,
                  Speaking for myself, (and I suspect everyone else,) I have been through many scary ,depressed, black hole, hours and days over this.
                  You are not alone, just hang in there , it passes.

Comment

Flabberblabber?

Originally posted by Lucy
                    I trust the Almighty will not be traipsing to a lasik surgeon to "fix" his myopia!
                    Huh? What do you mean? You couldn't possibly be suggesting that my optometrist's profit-sharing agreement with the LASIK mill might have some effect on his judgment, could you? Hey, these are doctors we're talkin' about here. They wouldn't ever suggest anything that could have any sort of negative consequences. If they say there's no risk and anyone who says otherwise is a lawsuit-happy crybaby, I believe 'em. Yep. Uh huh.

I want to know what all the flabberblabber stands for.
                    There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch. (GIYF)

If more people truly understood that acronym, there'd be a whole lot less suffering in the world.

As it relates to eyes, TANSTAAFL means that the oh-so-convenient remedies for myopia (LASIK, contacts, etc.) are, despite the advertising, not magic, but flawed solutions which do, in fact, have a cost. The unfortunate part is that the true cost is generally only recognized when it's too late. (I'm assuming that glasses also have an inherent cost to the eyes. But given that humanity has a few hundred years' experience with glasses, and that they are non-invasive, I'd judge the cost to be worth the benefit.)

Over on D'Eyealogues, the bulletin board on LaserMyEye, there are currently several people asking about the "best" way to laser their eyes (kinda like the "best" way to burn down one's own house), while in the very same forum, many others relate the tragic consequences of their miracle laser cure for myopia.

Sigh.

Comment

Oh (handsome) Almighty One, you might be like me and go from a pair of glasses which served me well for well.........many, many years to some $8,000 hard contact lens the size of a small house. Throw in another $25,000 +++ and 7 years of misery.,,,,it just might make you wish you still had your little geeky spectacles once again. All this because of LASIK surgery. I must have had my head under my pillow. Perhaps some dark knight took me there drugged, dragging me along against my will? Someone who wanted to punish me for life? Oops, sorry, I got carried away there.

No drugging, no trickery, no switch and bait. I was a willing participant. Damn, what was I thinking? I wasn't. You will still be a geek with glasses, so because of your sis's experience (along with mine, and many, many others) I know you'll keep a safe distance from any elective eye surgeries.

PS. Y'all didn't know the Almighty was such a personality, did ya? According to my failing eyesight, he is not bad lookin' either. Glasses might improve him a bit, though. HIS wearing glasses, I mean.

PPS. Let me blather on, the highlight of a boring day. I've been sort of quiet lately. I love being taught by a much younger man.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Julie,

No need to apologize for venting on this site or if you should be lucky enough to some day see us in person.

Yes, I would agree, family members have good intentions, but there's only so much "eye" they can take. Many still don't understand the whole thing and it's been years for me..."So, explain again to me why, if you're dry and burning, you have so many tears that need to be blotted?"

You are more than welcome to air your laundry here. It's part of your healing. Deal with your guilt as you need to now, but you'll have to get past it eventually.

In addition, deep concern and fear for the state of your eyes in menopause is NOT time well spent. You'll need to put this fear behind you as well. If worrying would make your eyes better when you're 60, I'd be all for it. But it won't.

As it is, the guilt and anxiety will get in the way of your physical and mental healing. You will one day function without all the baggage. Just hang in there.

Diana
                        Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

Julie-

....and you're coming off of being sick, too, huh. That just adds insult to injury.

Before I forget:

- I need to start avoiding the word "vent." A "vent" is the thing that seems to direct hot/cold air right at my eyes ... no matter which way it's pointing;

- Likewise, "air my laundry." To me, that implies getting it out in the breeze, hanging it out on the line on a sunny day, and letting all the moisture get sucked out of it.

I'm good with "dumping," "bi**hing," or anything else that implies catharsis, rather than increased pain

That said: I absolutely do understand. I've been in a major post-BFS funk, and will just do a brain-dump here, too, in hopes of both showing how well I DO understand and that maybe we'll get some relief by putting OUR woes on the DEZ Admin's CPU ... instead of on our heads, hearts, and minds (un-scientific ).

STILL not over this sinus/bronchial pneumonia thingy (not helping my eyes, either, btw), despite yet a 3rd antibiotic being added to the mix. I'm learning about new depths of exhaustion.

Trying to find an expert in the BAK-sinus connection. These days, they say not to use BAK-preserved nose spray for > 3 days. I used it (eye drops) for 6 years. Any wonder I can't stay healthy now??

A glitch in the system caused a sudden cancellation of my medical insurance ... with a huge BFS bill pending. It'll get fixed, but ... not without my making 3,000 phone calls and explaining everything to everybody.

The vision out of the sclerals is--for me--still rotten, but I DID get my first pair of over-glasses. Big help, but -- since they are not Panoptx-type -- they do very little to protect the remaining, UNcovered eye area. Gotta keep pressing forward to get 2-4 MORE pairs of glasses.

Gramma just had surgery and had to stay where (my) Diana and I were bunked down. During that time, MOM was told, by a cardiologist, "Hmm. I think we'd better do an angio to see what's up with YOU."

Niece (a Boxer (canine)) (look at that face!) quite likely has pancreatic cancer.

Dear friends--who moved to Colorado because ... they loved it and WE were moving there, too ... have, lovingly, continued to push to find out "when we're coming to visit," yet -- after everything -- I STILL don't know how I could even visit there. At this point ... it might NOT be the eyes. It might be the sinuses. Either way....

So ... yeah ... tough times and rough road. And from the outside ... to others ... we still (basically) look so ... normal. Yet inside ... mainly in my head ... I feel like a public city bus in urban India. The bus has about twelve times as many people (in my story, these are ongoing struggles) on it as it ever sanely or safely should, yet ... a bus stop up ahead has another 150 waiting passengers ... who will get on that bus, somehow.

It's getting a bit crowded in there

Hang in there, Julie. This is a down cycle. Live for the ride back up!

Take good care....
                          Neil

Comment

Originally posted by neil0502
                            And from the outside ... to others ... we still (basically) look so ... normal. Yet inside ... mainly in my head ... I feel like a public city bus in urban India. The bus has about twelve times as many people (in my story, these are ongoing struggles) on it as it ever sanely or safely should, yet ... a bus stop up ahead has another 150 waiting passengers ... who will get on that bus, somehow.
                            It's getting a bit crowded in there
                            Neil
                            and watch out, some may try to get on board through the windows or on the rooftop of our bus.
                            Glad to "read" from you again, Neil, in a combative spirit. Your "story" made think of either an Ethiopian or a Equatorian bus i once took trying to slope up sharply... well particularly in Equador (sharp mountains edges, both ways up and down), the bus had several religious signs and was called "Senőra de la Agonia" or something like that. Promising right?
                            Don't let the declivity fool you, you really need to go up anyway, even though as the Portuguese say "to go down, every saint helps". In that particular situation I think the saints helped us on the way up as well...

Neil i never told, but when Cécile and I went to Sweden (near Copenhague) there was this big sign in one street Neils Sjögrens. Strange sign... made me think of yesterday's discussion, "maybe we were meant to be/live this way". I don't see the purpose but I intend (and hope you all) intend to fight this plague with all my might!
                            Last edited by kakinda; 14-Mar-2007, 00:07. Reason: typo

Comment

Hi Julie1

Theres no need to appologise for venting we are all in the same boat, and we have all vented at one time or another.

I am comming round to this whole contact lense causation thing NOW. But it wasnt on the top of my list of cuases in the past becuase i thought 'how can wearing contacts for a few years cause dry eye?' But its actually obvious when i think about it- the more time went on the less and less i was able to wear them 'marginal dry eye'. And all the antidepressants did was send it in to full blown dry eye. So I am comming round to this idea that not the sole but the MAIN cuase was CONTACTS. Plus, I went on an antidepressant when i was 16 when i was 'new' to contacts and i never got dry eye.

Also i always wonder what the connection between dry eye and people who wears glasses is- could it be contacts? I read something like 70% give up wearing contacts and give dry eye/discomfort main reason for doing so, but obviously these people had no problem when they first started wearing them.

Julie your situation totally sounds like mine, we are both young i presume you dont have any autoimmune problems.
                              It does make me angry that i was NOT warned about the risks of wearing contacts especialy at such a young age when i didnt know any better. And like you i get tremendus GUILT, i wish i wasnt so vain that i had just worn my glasses, i wish i wasnt such an idoit to take antidepressants when my depression wasnt even bad (compared to what it was after anyway).

Im venting now! im 21 and i have still dont really have a life due to these problems. I to feel like theres no hope sometimes, but then i come on dryeye zone and it gives me hope. I feel like the contact lense/ lasik companies need to put more resourses into finding solutions as they are causing alot of the problems!

The other cause could be hormones of course which i think does have an effect on my eyes now, but at the time i was otherwise a healthy 19 year old with no other problems.

Anyway dont give up, i know its easy to sometimes! you need to try different solutions currently available and see what helps you.

sarax
                              Last edited by sazy123; 13-Mar-2007, 14:46.
                              I healed my dry eye with nutrition and detoxification. I'm now a Nutritional Therapist at: www.nourishbalanceheal.com Join my dry eye facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/420821978111328/

Comment

Working...
                              X