Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do people with ocular prothesis have DES?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do people with ocular prothesis have DES?

I have always been intrigued about why we develop dry eye after lasik. I read that it could be caused by the nerve damage to our corneas. Now I wonder if people with ocular prosthesis develop dry eye?? They don't even have a cornea anymore. Look at what I found in a site about the subject:

"Why apply a lubricant? Because it will prevent the surface of your prosthesis from irritating your socket and lids. [U]Although your tear glands are producing tears that are coating (lubricating) the surface of your prosthesis, the hydrophobic nature of the acrylic prevents a normal tear film from forming on the prosthesis.[/U] Without this protective film, you lids will become irritated and begin excreting mucus to protect the delicate lining of your lids".

Are our damaged LASIk corneas really the cause of our dry eye?

I found more information on the subgect of ocular prosthesis. Again it seams that people without their eye globe still have normal tear function. This leads me to question the whole concept of decrease corneal nerves due to LASIK and dry eye. In my case I do have a lot fo metal debris under my corneas because of the LASIK, could that be the cause of my dryness and allergic or autoinmune reaction to the foreign substance in my eyes??

www.maloneysocular.com/tearing.htm

What About Tearing and Secretion?
    Even though you wear an artificial eye, your tear glands will still be functioning and tears will flow normally if the eyelids or tear ducts have not been damaged and or removed. The amount of secretion varies with individuals and, at times may be considerable. Head colds, wind, dust, foreign matter, dry eye syndrome, some medications both over the counter and prescription, allergies, temperature extremes, and failure to clean hands thoroughly when handling the prosthesis can all cause excess secretion. Surface deposits, scratches, or any roughness can cause irritation, which can lead to infection of the socket.

Comment

People without an eye can still produce tears?

More information on the same subject of ocular prosthesis.

http://www.wisconsineyes.com/Frame-2...=1163292782027

Excessive secretion and eye socket hygiene

Unless your eyelids have been severely damaged, your tear glands will function normally; flushing small dust particles and other eye irritants from the eye socket just as they do with a living eye. The amount of tears and secretion will vary with the individual and can be considerable at times.

Head colds, allergies, working in heavy dust areas, becoming overtired, being in wind, extreme temperature changes, and a poorly fitting or rough ocular prosthesis can cause excessive secretion and sometimes infection.

Following a head cold or exposure to heavy dust it is advisable to remove the prosthesis and flush the eye socket. Use a syringe or an eye cup with warm water or an approved eye wash. There are commercial drops and ointments available to remove excessive secretion and aid in lubricating the surface of the prosthesis. If an infection is apparent, consult an ophthalmologist (eye physician).

Comment

Working...
      X