Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lesser Known Treatments for Ocular Rosacea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lesser Known Treatments for Ocular Rosacea?

Hi guys,
    In light of my fairly recent rosacea diagnosis, I have been trying to do my fair share of research into the problem. I recently purchased a book Beating Rosacea by Dr. Geoffry Nase, which had some interesting treatment modalities that I wasn't aware of. A few things Dr. Nase reccomends:
    Nutritional: Ester C (basically vitamin C) up to 3000mg/daily, Grape Seed Extract @100-200mg 2-3 times daily, Pycnogenol (an anti-inflammatory antioxidant taken from pine bark) taken at 1-1.5mg per pound of body weight. Dr. Nase also reccomends the usual fatty acids, i.e. Borage oil, fish oil etc. Medications Well this one shocked me for a moment: Dr. Nase also reccomended Accutane (Isotretinoin) for the treatment of of occular rosacea. He stresses that this would be a VERY LOW dose, far less than what people would be taking for acne problems, and as little as 2.5mg/day. he recognizes that too high a dose, again like what you would typically take for acne, could worsen your symptoms. Interesting...Lastly, Dr. Nase indicates that on occasion, oral anti-fungals (used for seborrheic dermatitis) can be useful in treating ocular symptoms. he lists Ketoconazole, Fluconazole and Itraconazole as examples.
    Other Maybe some of you have heard of Intensed Pulsed Light therapy for rosacea. According to Dr. Nase, this procedure can be directed at the eyelids as well, apparently reducing eyelid inflamation and swelling. he also claims it may help normalize meibomian gland function by reducing eyelid vascularity. Also, in the future, Metronidazole eyedrops may become available as well as Strontium Nitrate drops which apparently are an effective anti-irritant that have the potential to alleviate burning and stinging symptoms. Let's hope so! Anyway, just some food for thought. Please consult a physican before trying anything I just mentioned.

Isn't Accutane what "Accutane Jane" was on and it TOTALLY MESSED UP HER EYES? I thought a side effect of this drug was incredibly DRY EYES...

Comment

Accutane Dosage

Yes, that's true. However, the dose of Accutane given to treat acne is significantly higher than the dose that would typically be given to a Rosacea patient. I think its like a lot of other things-more is not neccesarily better. I cannot say whether or not this is an effective treatment, however, it has been showing up on some of the rosacea support forums. People seem to report good results with clearance of certain facial manifestations of the disease. Certainly worth investigating.

Comment

ps. Jay vs. Jane

Not that it's terribly important, but Accutane Jane was actually Accutane Jay and us male, not femele. I thought Jay(son) might like that clarification.

Lucy
        Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Whilst we are all looking for good treatments for dry eye and other eye problems, and we like the idea of something new and exciting, can I suggest that everyone needs to be very careful with the advice offered by Geoffrey Nase. He is not a doctor, he is a biomedical PhD offering medical advice.

His book, Beating Rosacea is not peer reviewed and would never pass peer review. It is not a medical textbook, it is a rambling self help book. Let me give you one quick example - you mentioned Ester C. Check the reference where he cites the dosage - it is anon !! Ester C is expensive and unproven - which seems to be a common theme for his book.

It is best to seek a second opinion on anything that you try from this book.

Please also visit http://www.debunkingnase.org for more information.

Comment

Thanks Lucy for the clarification on Accutane Jay!! I should have researched more thoroughly before adding my two cents. I was in a rush (AS ALWAYS!!!).

Accutane Jay, I APOLOGIZE!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy
              Not that it's terribly important, but Accutane Jane was actually Accutane Jay and us male, not femele. I thought Jay(son) might like that clarification.
              We were doing something similar to Mikastef a while back.

It's bad enough to suffer with dry eyes, but then ... to have us all trying to "gender-reclassify" each other ... it's all so very confusing ....

Comment

Dr. Nase

I couldn't agree more. One thing I like about talking with folks on this forum is that they are a very sharp group, with attention to detail that some doctors I have met should aspire to! I was aware of the website that you mentioned becarefuloutthere, and was causally wondering how long it would take after mentioning Dr. Nase's name before someone would jump on it! Your cautiions are well taken, however, I believe that Dr. Nase did write the book with good intentions, despite his questionable behavior since. Like you I also believe that anyone considering a new course of treatment for a diasease should always consult a physician beforehand. Also, I question everything I hear, see or read. Yes even if it comes from a doctor-why do you think they call it medical "practice?" The answer is, because they're still practicing!

Comment

Working...
                X