No announcement yet.

You are never going to believe this...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You are never going to believe this...

...but my eye doctor billed me to have an eyelash pulled out. At my last visit in June, the resident doctor examined my eyes and become overly concerned about one, single misdirected eyelash. She insisted that it was rubbing across the surface of my cornea and needed to be immediately removed. I could not believe that she focused so much on this single lash and did not even ask me about my dry eye symptoms and whether they have improved. I finally told her to just remove it, and she went to retrieve a pair of tweezers and put a numbing drop because it was "going to be extremely painful." I told her that she did not need to use a numbing drop because I have experienced far worse eye pain (constant burning, not being able to keep my eyes open etc) than having a single eyelash pulled out with tweezers. She didn't even listen to me and told me to put my head back so that she could put the drops in.

Anyway, I thought it was the end of the story once the eyelash was removed, but I noticed today that there is a $200 charge for "surgery" on my medical bill. I don't have to pay that charge because I have satisfied my deductible, but it makes me so angry that something as trivial as pulling one eyelash out was billed. I understand that there is a need to bill for this service if multiple eyelashes are being removed, but I could have pulled out this single eyelash with my own tweezers and saved my health insurance company $200.

Sorry for all this. I was just frustrated that the focus was on the eyelash instead of the more pressing medical condition of dry eyes. I could not believe that the clinic charged $200 to do what I could have done on my own. I guess I will never understand.

Have a good fourth!

That is crazy! You should call your insurance company and find out just how appropriate that really is. I would never suggest that a doctor might charge inappropriately on purpose, but....
    Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

I would call the doctors office and my insurance company. To consider eyelash removal to be surgery is absurd. Is there even a code for that?!

Happy Fourth to all of you as well.

Diana
      Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

I too have had an eyelash removed. Actually, it was really annoying me and I had tried to remove it myself with tweezers but couldn't "find" it amongst all of the other ones. I think the eye doctor charged me $50. I'm not aware of how one defines "surgery," but I do know that punctal plug insertion is often billed as such. I'm not sure how removing one eyelash though would qualify. That really seems like a stretch. Sorry Jules. Happy fourth to you too.

Comment

Just FYI, active members of the community are more than welcome to talk about and post links about products they like (related to dry eye) but commercial links by brand new users are generally treated as spam unless somebody gives me a convincing argument why they shouldn't.
          Rebecca Petris
          The Dry Eye Foundation
          dryeyefoundation.org
          800-484-0244

Comment

Eyelash Surgery

It's surgey once they take out those tweezers. I have had lashes removed for years. When I didn't have insurance I will have to say they never charged extra. Once I got insurance then the price went up. They do charge me an extra $50 besides the fact I paid my copay. I have not paid this yet. It's ridiculous. The last ones I had electrolysis done. I use to go every 3 months for lash removal. They must have gotten most of them as it's been about 10 months since the last one. The dry eye was bad enough without the lashes. If it's bad enough they do have surgery for it. But since my eyelids have slings in them I can't have that done. Also, some doctors are good finding them others are not. I saw 2 eye doctors one day and the second one found lashes the first one missed.

Comment

That is ridiculous. Although I have vague memories of someone on this board (or possibly another) that had a similar story. I have removed eyelashes over the years that were scratching my cornea, and you are right, it does not hurt as bad as the dry eye! I always tell them not to bother numbing me for anything....the less junk they put in my eyes the better. Sorry you had to deal with such a frustrating docs appt!

Comment

shells

Nice to hear from you, haven't seem you round these parts for a while.

I hope things are improving for your. I finally feel as though I am moving in the right direction. I have had a couple of good days where I haven't spent every waking hour thinking about my eyes - after nearly 2 years that is really a blessing.

Take care and I wish you continued improvement.

Sorry to detract from the original thread
                Ian

Comment

Working...
                X