Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What sleeping medicine that is okay to take...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What sleeping medicine that is okay to take...

...That won't dry out your eyes.

I don't understand the "drying" mechanism behind sleeping pills, but Dr. Latkany did tell me that sleeping pills (and some anti-anxiety meds) can sufficiently relax your facial muscle tone to allow you to sleep with your eyes slightly open. However, this is not a guarantee, in fact, I have taken Clonazepam several times before I went to bed and my eyes felt fine.

Comment

Most OTC sleeping meds contain an anti histamine, like Benadryl. This is the same med found in allergy meds and is very drying. You might consider something natural like Melatonin. The sublingual (under the tongue) works best for me.
      Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

This might be a dumb suggestion but... Many people sleep better if they are in complete dark. A good quality, comfortable sleep mask gives the double benefit of excluding light, and protecting from night dryness.
        Rebecca Petris
        The Dry Eye Foundation
        dryeyefoundation.org
        800-484-0244

Comment

Not a dumb suggestion at all. In fact, there is some chemical reaction/shift that takes place in the brain when the retina stops perceiving light for a certain ammount of time. I don't remember the details, but darkness (for some people) can be very important to falling asleep. Of course, certain people, like my mother, can fall asleep reliably wih three lamps and the tv on.

Comment

sleeping meds

I never used to need anything to sleep, but with the pain and worry of DES, and knowing that when I sleep poorly my eyes pay for it in the morning, I do sometimes take Ativan. I have no trouble with it. I tried Trazodone, which is better being non-habit forming, but it really dried my eyes. I've also tried the new Rozerem, supposably non-addictive, quite expensive, didn't dry my eyes, but dlidn'thelp me sleep at all. I agree with Rebecca about trying sleeping masks, and other "sleep hygiene" techniques.
            Elaine

Comment

Working...
            X