Euphrasia, eyebright

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Euphrasia, eyebright

Anyone used, seen or heard of this herb?

"Eyebright has a long history of herbal use in the treatment of eye problems and is still in current herbal use[4]. It is important that only the correct forms of eyebright, with glandular hairs on the calyx, are used, since other forms do not possess medicinal virtues[268]. Eyebright tightens the mucous membranes of the eye and appears to relieve the inflammation of conjunctivitis and blepharitis[254]. Its ability to counter catarrh means that it is often used for infectious and allergic conditions affecting the eyes, middle ear, sinuses and nasal passages[254]. The whole plant is anti-inflammatory, astringent, digestive, ophthalmic and slightly tonic[[4, 7, 9, 14, 165, 220]. It is taken internally in the treatment of catarrh, sinusitis, hay fever, upper respiratory tract infections etc[238]. As an ophthalmic, an infusion of the plant can be taken internally or used as an eye wash. Alternatively, the diluted juice can be dropped into the eyes[232]. Some caution should be exercised, experimentally it can induce side effects including dim vision[222]. The plant's astringency makes it inappropriate for treating dry or stuffy congestion[254]. The plant can be used externally as a poultice to aid the healing of wounds[268]. Eyebright should be harvested when in flower and can be dried for later use[238]. The dried herb is a ingredient of herbal smoking mixtures, used in the treatment of chronic bronchial colds[4]. A homeopathic remedy is made from the expressed juice of the plant[232]. It is used particularly in the treatment of eye inflammations and colds[7, 232]"
    Occupation - Optimistologist

I used Euphrasia drops a while ago but they didn't help! :-( It's homeopathy.

Comment

A long time ago I used up a bottle (120 capsules) over a period of 2 months and it didn't do anything for me at the time or after.

Comment

Eyebright by "Dr. Christopher’s Original Formulas"

I've been doing some research on Eyebright in order to treat my bloodshot eyes. It seems the best brand is the one developed by Dr John Christopher. You can get it on Amazon. It's cheap.

If you google Christopher and Eyebright you'll find lots of info about how he treated eyes with his formulas. Some stories are too good to be true though. Anyway, you can start by this link:

http://www.herballegacy.org/Hartzog_Eyebright.html

Comment

Warning against Eyebright

Please don't use eyebright!! I think it might be responsible for my dry eyes. I had an allergic reaction to something which destabilised my tear film and I think it might have been an eyewash made from eyebright which I used around that time. Obviously, it may be just that I was allergic to something in eyebright and that other people wouldn't have the same reaction, but I'd be careful with it if I were you.

Helen

Comment

I took Eyebright capsules for 3 months with no response at all. I stopped taking them and all was still the same.

Comment

Please check out independent website for info on this herb
              www.drugdigest.org

Comment

Eyebright capsules

I actually meant the capsules, not the wash. Dr Chrisopher's Herbal Eyebright Formula is a blend of Bayberry Bark, Eyebright Herb, Golden Seal Root, Red Raspberry Leaf and Cayenne Pepper.

Comment

This remedy has been floating around dry eye boards for years. Not necessarily this brand. If it was a cure, or even a "fix" we would have heard about it by now.

I'm NOT advising to use or not, but it ain't the ticket out of here.

Lucy
                  Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Eyebright

I heard about Dr Christopher's Eyebright from the book "The Eyes Have It: A Self-Help Manual for Better Vision" By Earlyne Chaney, pages 118-119. Read the last paragraph.

Comment

Good Grief!!

If I put Cayenne Pepper in my eyes, you would hear me scream from the agony all the way to the center of the earth!! There is no logical way that pepper is going to cure a raw, scratched eye. Just my two cents on it. I do remember taking a dose of eyebright one time hoping it would help with what I thought was allergies. Woke up with my eyes really red and irritated. Use this with caution. My two cents again.

Billye

Comment

"blinking and exercising the eye", "as a means of curing cataracts"??????
                        "The tea should also be drunk for faster results."

This does sound like a very tasty tea, but a cure for cataracts? No way.

I wouldn't put it in my lasered, Sjogrens eyes for sure. If it cures cataracts, why isn't this known by the medical community? Just wondering, cause if I'd known this I could have taken the tea instead of getting cataracts?

I might drink it, but not put in my eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

OK, you guys are going to think I am crazy....but, I have used the cayenne and eyebright tonic/wash. My eyes actually like it a lot better than any drop including preservative free and restasis. I like the "bath" better than a lot of washes. Some of my best days (before I saw my new doc) were when I was using this. Right now though I am trying to simplify and just do lid hygine....but, if I am having a really bad day I do a wash or two for some relief.....I know, strange.....I tolerate cayenne pepper and not PRESERVATIVE FREE drops!!! UUGGH!

my 2 cents- maybe the tonic is for bleph issues only- since that is what i seem to have....it is also a little like an astringent so while you might have cleaner lid margins I think it might dry the eye if overused....I am not sure. i am puzzled by this stuff...
                          Last edited by autumnn; 26-Oct-2007, 21:18.

Comment

Autumnn, I don't think you are crazy. If you feel it helps you, then use it. I worry because they say you can drink it as a "tea" also. Well, all in all they claim it can cure cataracts and that's where I say it's not a true statement.
                            If it helps you, that's great. Lucy

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Working...
                            X