Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blocked glands

Hi

Occasionally I get blocked Meibomian glands (even though I use a rice baggy 3 times a day!) - I can see the little 'lump' on my eyelid. They tend to dissapear after a couple of days.

My question is this - is there any way of removing them immediately? If they are 'wax' can I melt them somehow? Should I pick at them with my fingernail? Or as I suspect leave them alone!

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

Ell
    The magic gloop IS out there somewhere - right?

You can express them by using a quetip. Run it under hot water, pull your lid down, or up if it's your upper and clean it.

I just try to keep running it across till my eyes feel a clean sensation or a lifted, if you will, sensation. Dr Lantkey's book explains the process pretty well.
    Which is it? Is it what you know or who you know? Or is it how well you convey what you know to who you know it to?

-Tim

Comment

If they are very stiff plugs, I would advise getting your eye doctor to manually express them. (If they give you a blank look, time to find a new eye doctor. )
      Rebecca Petris
      The Dry Eye Foundation
      dryeyefoundation.org
      800-484-0244

Comment

degree of force

I sense that there must be varying degrees of force with which doctors express meibomian glands, because the procedure I once experienced left the treated lid swollen and misshapen, not a result that one would wish to pursue. .

About 7 years ago, I saw a doctor specifically for lid expression, as he had published about the procedure in scientific journals. The result was devastating, and I feel lucky that the resulting lump ultimately shrank down. For 4 months or so post-procedure, the lump constantly abraded my ocular surface, and I was advised that I might need lid surgery to correct the problem. . .The abrasive lump made my original MGD symptoms, which were debilitating, seem like a picnic. . .I actually longed for the good old days of plain old DES pain. . .

Nonetheless, this is only one anecdote, and I have to assume that the docs who do lid expression these days are not using great force.

And I do so hope that there are docs doing some kind of lid expression, for those with MGD who get no result from heat, lid scrubs, and gentle expression at home.
        <Doggedly Determined>

Comment

Scrub your hands and fingernails, then use your fingernail and scrape it off. It's a breeze and doesn't hurt at all.

Comment

Working...
          X