Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• odd question

Hey everyone,

Does anyone get build up on their eyelashes after using drops? My eyelashes have become very brittle and coated after using drops. They even hurt which is odd, and no one really knows why.

Thanks!

Buildup depends on the kind of drop. Drops with a high polymer concentration (including Celluvisc and Dwelle) are more likely to leave residue than others. You can reduce this by blotting carefully after putting drops in and using only a small drop. Personally I like to put a lot on sometimes just for the soothing effect, and then I may have to wash it off my lid margins/lashes. For me the ocusoft foaming lidscrub is a very gentle way to do that in the shower. (Just started using that pretty recently.)

I think I know what you mean about them hurting too. If I get an MGD flare-up it can seem like the base of the lashes hurts.

On the other hand... maybe you are talking about blepharitis???
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Rebecca,

I am confused about the difference between blepharitis and mgd? Do they produce the same symptoms?

Comment

my understanding is that MGD is caused by blepharitis(inlamation of the tiny glands and ducts that produce meibum -the oil we need to seal in the tears and stop evaporation)
        Since MGD means meibomian gland disfuntion,i take it the glands are disfunctional because of the inflamation
        There are two types of blepharitis -anterier and posterier
        Anterier is when you get crusting on your eye lashes and is less serious(common in elderly who cant look after themselves)
        Posterier is what most of us on this site would have and almost always causes MGD
        Correct me anyone if i got it wrong
        Stella

Comment

Stella is correct, MDG is caused by blepharitis. Or you can say MGD and Blepharitis are the same disease. Did you know blepharitis isn't a disease as such it is merely a medical term. "Itis" is a suffix describing inflammation i.e. bronchitis. "bleph" is a prefix describing the eye lid. therefore blepharitis is merely "eyelid-inflammation".
          Occupation - Optimistologist

Comment

Working...
          X