Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sjogrens and Blepharitis?

Hi

I was hoping that someone could provide me some insight. I have Sjogrens and am currently on restasis. I am only 5 1/2 weeks in with no benefit. I believe I do have slightly more tearing with Evocac. I have seen many eye doctors since my diagnosis in May of this year. Still trying to find the right one who is realistic but still positive. I have meant some real negative ones and at 25 yrs old I think it is important not to dash my spirits completely.

Anyhows the latest doctor told me I have blepharitis in addition to my aqeuous difficiency. I have never been told this before and have been evaluated many times by different physicians. I do use drops very often (a box a day) and ofcourse ointment at night (which I have to re-apply) and I heard that these treatments used so often could lead to blepharitis.

At the same appt I was plugged (lower only) and told that he many choose to start me on doxy next visit.

I am honestly quite skeptical about starting yet another eye drop especially since I was never told about blepharitis and from another MD my TBUT was fairly normal.

Anyone with Sjogrens or water deficiency have experience with Doxy? And also is it possible to have blepharitis without knowing you have it? My eyelids occassionally get itchy but no different from when I was first diagnosed.

I know I must really stick to one eye doctor-I am driving myself crazy!!!

Thanks so much
    If life is a bowl of cherries, then why I am I stuck in the pits!

Yes, it is absolutely possible to have blepharitis without knowing it. I am convinced that I had it for several years before it was diagnosed. I think it's important to know what kind of blepharitis you have as there are quite a few different subtypes. Is it caused by bacteria? Or maybe a skin condition, i.e. rosacea and/or seb. dermatitis? Are your meibomian glands still functioning as they should? Definately ask your doc. This knowledge would probably affect how you treat it, although there does seem to be quite a bit treatment of overlap. Two things I can tell you for certain is that if you are noticing any crusting of your lid margins/lashes or your eyelashes seem to keep falling out (excluding mascara/cosmetic reasons) then you most likely have some kind of blepharitis. The usual treatment is a course (sometimes indefinite) of lid cleansing (commercial scrubs/warm compresses). Sometimes an oral tetracycline(usually doxycycline or minocycline) will be prescribed, and/or an antibiotic ointment. I have also heard of steroid salves being prescribed too.
    Sorry to hear you have to deal with Sjogren's, especially at such a young age.

Comment

Hi kcoffiner,

How much your Schirmer score was? What about the reflex tears ?
      I do have TBUT normal and a Schirmer score of zero but I was diagnosed with MGD/rosacea and both doxy and eyelid massage helped me. Actually my evaporation rate is very high. Do you have also other symptoms of Sjogren's ?
      You can try upper plugs too...

All best !

George

Comment

Blepharitis and Sjogrens

Hi:

My eyelids don't fall out and I don't have crusting unless I forget to wipe away the excess artifical tears. I am trying the warm compresses but to be honest they make my eyes redder. Cold compresses are what seems to soothe it better. I am just so confused with all this stuff. Prior to May I had healthy eyes. I defintely have Sjogrens for sure. Dry mouth, arthritis, Schirmer score of 0. I even had a doctor jump back when he say my empty lacrimal lake. Just first time someone has mentioned blepharitis. It is almost too much to handle at once.
        If life is a bowl of cherries, then why I am I stuck in the pits!

Comment

Working...
        X