Alcohol and dry eyes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alcohol and dry eyes

Does anyone else find that drinking alcohol worsens their symptoms of dry eye? I have one dry eye and one good one (my dry eye came as the result of an injury) and if I get dehydrated from drinking too much alcohol I get headaches on the left side of my head like someone is drilling into the back of my eye. I know this is the dry eye and not a normal hangover because I never got headaches like this before the injury and I don't drink as much as I used to anyway. The thought of giving up alcohol depresses me though because I enjoy going out and having a good time with my mates. Does anyone have any tips on getting over these effects quickly?

People with DES should avoid alcohol. But if you do imbibe, drink plenty of water before, during and after. Alcohol also depletes blood sugar which causes the headache, and I have heard that it also depletes vitamin c. So drinking some fruit juice or eating some fruit while imbibing should help.
    Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

I cut out alcohol some months ago but when I was living in England where drinking was an occupational hazard (investment banking crowd... ) I found that wine seemed to be quite hard on the eyes as compared to say G&T. I dealt with it by trying to make sure I drank a glass of water for every glass of wine.
      Rebecca Petris
      The Dry Eye Foundation
      dryeyefoundation.org
      800-484-0244

Comment

I know this makes little medical sense but I actually find my eyes can sometimes be a little better the morning after a few pints? TBH though I don't drink that often so it could be merely coincidence. Anyone else experienced this?

Ell
        The magic gloop IS out there somewhere - right?

Comment

Hi,

Alcohol definitely has an affect on my dry eyes, and since I cut it right down my weekends and Mondays are a good bit better as a result.

I also have retinal vein occlusions in both eyes which I've also cut down alcohol for......although, the doctors reckon alcohol has no affect on the veins in the retina......but I've had too many Sunday morning blind spots which prove the docs wrong!

I drink only on a Friday & Saturday night, I'll have two bottles of beer and from then on it's fresh orange and lemonade. I don't miss it.

Ian.

Comment

Not that I'm suggesting it to everyone, but I sometimes find that Alcohol is the only thing that takes my mind off my eyes for a little.

I always make sure I drink loads of water whenever I drink alcohol just to make sure that I don't wake up with my eyelid attached to my eyeball (learnt that lesson early on after numerous erosions).

I just decided to drink in moderation as there are few things in life left for us to enjoy when enduring DE pain, a little tipple here and there is not a major issue as far as I'm concerned, just keep up the water intake as well.

Cheers

Ian

Comment

I agree with Prattstar on the little tipple here and there PLUS BEAUCOUP WATER!!!

Comment

Fun with dehydration

I had to give up alcohol and caffeine. I know, for someone in their late 20's, I sound like a lot of fun. Both were just too hard on my eyes, however, if you can manage to stay hydrated, you probably will be fine.

Comment

I agree that i is certainly not good for dry eyes, but I also agree that it can take your mind away from it where you dont think about your eyes too much. And as weird as it sounds, I too feel better (dry eye symptoms) the following day after drinking alcohol. No idea why this is, but it is most certainly the case.

Comment

Untkicker:
                    I too feel better (dry eye symptoms) the following day after drinking alcohol. No idea why this is, but it is most certainly the case.
                    Eli:
                    I know this makes little medical sense but I actually find my eyes can sometimes be a little better the morning after a few pints?
                    Drum roll............

Could it be that the headache, stomach, all over bad-feeling (hangover to me) just makes the eyes seem not so bad?

Sorry, fellas, I just had to put that in. Mere joke. I'm past those days.

Lucy
                    Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Working...
                    X