Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anything to soothe inflamed skin round eyes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anything to soothe inflamed skin round eyes?

Hi there,

I have one eye that is particularly bad and I must admit that I am constantly "poking" at/around it - I know I should not but can't help it.
    For some deluded reason, three years on, I still think I will twist my eyelid in some way and the tears will start flooding again! Dream on!

Anyway, as a result, the skin around the eye gets inflamed regularly.
    My question is can anyone recommend (I am based in Northern Ireland) anything moisturising/soothing that can be applied safely to this area (and won't damage my eye further if some of it strays into the eye by mistake).

Thanks & keep up the good work everyone.

- Seamus

Cucumbers

I suggest cucumbers, soothing and natural.

Now, I realize you already know this so feel free to stop reading, but I have to say that I know DES is horrible and we all think we are just one right eye drop or squeeze away from curing ourselves, but you really should lay off the eye a little. Irritating your eyelids will just make the DES worse and your fingers may be transferring bacteria to your eyes.

Okay, sorry, I had to say it. Good luck!

Comment

Hi Seamus
      Greetings -also from NI
      I am always squeezing my inflammed eyelids so i know how you feel
      I have dry lids too and all eye creams irritate so i never put anything near my eyes except water
      Have you ever tried claramist -Its an eye lid spray to be used instead of eyedrops I use it all the time.It does moisturize the lids some.It describes itself as a liposomal spray with vits A and E that helps restore the lipid layer of the eye
      Presumably the spray seeps through the lid into the eye
      I spray it then rub it in
      You can get it in Tesco for £13 and it lasts ages
      Oh by the way i never touch my eyes without washing my hands - just the finger tips often
      Stella
      Forgot to say it stings a bit for a few seconds

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for the info everybody. Yes I know all too well I should leave my eye alone, but it is that feeling of "something in there" that makes me poke. I know about the bacteria and have even done it with salt on my fingers - and chillis (that was fun!). Stella thanks for the Clarimist tip - yes I use it now and again but it does sting - however I stupidly tend to use it when my eye is inflamed - rather than just proactively in "good" (non-inflamed) times so no wonder it stings when the eye - skin surface is already inflamed.
        A no-touch policy is the only way, I know.
        All the best,
        - Seamus

Comment

Originally posted by Seamus
          Anyway, as a result, the skin around the eye gets inflamed regularly.
          My question is can anyone recommend (I am based in Northern Ireland) anything moisturising/soothing that can be applied safely to this area (and won't damage my eye further if some of it strays into the eye by mistake).
          Have you tried a cold pack? like a chilled gelpack?
          Rebecca Petris
          The Dry Eye Foundation
          dryeyefoundation.org
          800-484-0244

Comment

I have used Vaseline and also Estee' Lauder moisturizer. One of my old dry eye pal fellows used to use his wife's moisturizer around his eyes. Taking care not to get in the eye. A Q-tip might help applying this. Not recommending it--just works for me when I need it.
            Lucy
            Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Ta

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Comment

I always tug at my eyelids too. And yes, it probably is a bad idea. For moisturizing around my eyes I use Dove's daytime lotion for sensitive skin (fragrance free). I would definitely try to get something fragrance free, atleast for me, anything else burns my eyes.

-Shells

Comment

Working...
                X