Couple of questions for you DES experts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couple of questions for you DES experts

I have found that warm compresses don't do a lot for me, but cold compresses and chilled eye drops do the trick. Obviously, this means my eyes are inflamed. Any idea what that means in the big scheme of things? Also, has anyone tried chrysanthemum tea? I heard it is great for inflammation.

Momaxwell,
    I'm not sure that having cold drops/compresses feel good means your eyes are inflamed, but, given the proposed pathology of dry eye (inflammation!) it's probably a reasonable bet. In terms of the big picture? I'm not entirely sure. Dr. Latkany says that patients with marked signs of inflamation, like redness, irritation, etc., are more likely to respond to anti-inflamatory therapy, i.e. Restasis, than those without.
    I like cold compresses too, but of course they won't help meibomitis, which I have. Gonna have to stay with warm ones for now!
    I haven't tried chrysanthemum tea, but am always looking for "natural" treatment options.
    Since this whole thing started for me last December, I have quit coffee (still grumbling about it ) and have become a tea drinker instead. I like chamomile and green tea and, at night, sometimes drink Yogi Bedtime. it has valerian root and some relaxing herbs that really help take the edge off.

Comment

Yes, I miss coffee too. And wine. =)

Comment

I had joked only half-seriously for years that I was addicted to caffeine. Once I quit coffee I realized just how much. It's actually quite astounding how dependant a lot of people become on caffeine to get through their daily lives.
        What they don't realize is that they only "need" it as long as they continue to use it. It is a potent drug-which makes Starbucks the Medellin cartel of coffee. I do miss wine too. Damn rosacea!

Comment

I read somewhere that dry eye suffers should cut out coffee (done), alcohol (done), saturated fat (I’ll think about it) and refined sugar (no). This is probably a good idea for everyone, but, if I did this, I would have no more joy.

Comment

Sugar

I have noticed diet changes help with my eyes. I have cut out coffee as well, and have become a tea drinker. Also, I have experimented recently with cutting out sugar and it has helped, which is bittersweet because it is very hard to avoid sugar!

Comment

Sugar is a known pro-inflammatory substance. For those with rosacea, it is also a potent vasodilator. So avoiding sugar is good. Just beware of aspartame (Nutrasweet). In the long run, it may well do more harm than good.

Comment

...Honey, on the other hand, is a a natural ANTI-inflammatory, so where possible it's a great substitute.
                Rebecca Petris
                The Dry Eye Foundation
                dryeyefoundation.org
                800-484-0244

Comment

Great point. I had forgotten that. (Or did I just never know it? ) I actually prefer it to sugar in most herbal teas.

Comment

Thanks for that information about honey. I didn't know that. I don't use any artificial sweeteners either. I think all artificial sweeteners are bad for you in the long run. I just use Stevia in my tea.

Comment

I need information about hormone test

Hi,
                      I was at my gynecologist today and asked if she could give a harmon test, to check the ostrogen, progestron, DHEA, which I think might relate with dry eyes and weak immune system, plus Im having hypothyroidism.
                      She said its not possible when I'm taking anti baby pills. She said the pills that Im taking now has the function to control ostrogen, and ostrogen does no good for woman. She gave me another pills called CILEST TKA, which has more progestron.
                      Acutually, before I'm using any pills, I've already had dry eye problems. I'm having a feeling that the doctors (eye doctor, general practitioner,or gynecologist) arent patient anymore to analyse my problem.
                      Maybe someone here could help me and give me a list of harmon I should check. And is it true that I have to stop pills for at least 3 months to make harmon test?

Comment

Working...
                      X