Giving up on Denial...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giving up on Denial...

Just got back from my appt with a new ophthalmologist---a dry eye sufferer himself. So he got right to the point. My eyes are very dry and I shouldn't be wearing soft contact lenses. He says they make the irritation chronic and don't provide the eye with enough oxygen. When I said that my eyes feel better in lenses, he acknowledged that, said they were acting as "bandage lenses," but that still, it wasn't good.

Skipped the Schirmers. Didn't need it, he said. Stained my eye surface and saw the condition of the tears, the quantity, the break-up time, etc. Inspected the meibomian glands, said I had mild blepharitis, too.

I got quadra-plugged. Just decided to go for it. I had the lowers done in the spring, but one had fallen out this week. I liked the fact that the only type of plug he uses is the removable kind.

Said I should only use unpreserved drops, and use them often.

Suggested autologous serum drops (from Leiter's) and doxycycline as possible things to try in the future.

So......I hate to give up contacts, but......this sounds like the right thing to do. He's a good, pro-active doctor. Finally, I found somebody who knows more about this than I do. I've heard about all these things (plugs, serum drops, doxy) on Dry Eye Talk, but always in the past (with the previous doctor) it would be me explaining things to him. That's not a good sign. I had never gone forward with trying new things---if the doctor hadn't even heard of it, I didn't want to take a chance.

I realize that over the past 4-5 years I had come to accept the horrible condition of my eyes, but now I'm thinking I might even feel some improvement. I was too set in my ways before---didn't think anybody could help me.

Sorry this is so long!

I think the change will be good for me.

Calli

Calli--sounds like a plan to me. Congrats on finding a doc who knows as much (maybe) as you do!
    Lucy
    Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

and one more thing...

This new mega-eye-doctor office building I went to today----the receptionists and appointment-makers looked like "babes." Weird. Two girls at the front were both wearing low cut blouses with much cl****vge showing and black long-sleeved sweaters--it almost seemed like a "uniform." One wore extra high heels with the little strings wound around the instep and ankles. Hmmm.

Is this the new thing to draw customers? Feng Shui for Ophthalmology Offices.

Calli

Comment

Calli--although I have not noticed THIS at my ophthalmologist's office, I have noticed this new fashion trend in other medical offices. Must be a sign of the times. Well, heck just look at street traffic and you can see what I mean.

I, too, have been a bit surprised at the check-in or check-our counter of a medical office when I'm writing my check and handing it over the counter to cleavage with hands. While I'm on this topic.....I should add earlier this week I had a routine thing done as an outpatient at a local hospital. One of the ladies was very mature, possibly in her late 60's and still working. She had white hair, very well groomed, fit looking anf friendly. Imagine my surprise when I was talking to her over the counter and I saw a tatoo on her cleavage that was showing in the open neck of her blouse. The blouse was NOT inappropriate and I was very surprised to see a mature businesswoman with a tatoo THERE in public sight. I kept my mouth shut about the tatoo.
        Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Originally posted by calli66
          Two girls at the front were both wearing low cut blouses with much cl****vge showing and black long-sleeved sweaters--it almost seemed like a "uniform." One wore extra high heels with the little strings wound around the instep and ankles. Hmmm.

Is this the new thing to draw customers? Feng Shui for Ophthalmology Offices.

Calli
          No, it's completely medical.......for the men visitors anyway.......it's to make the eyes pop out of your head so that the drops can be administered more effectively....

Comment

Well now the medical field needs to come up with something for us women!!

Comment

Originally posted by Judy
              Well now the medical field needs to come up with something for us women!!
              Amen to that! All I got was CNN news on the wall monitor and old Time magazines. (Yawn)

Calli

Comment

Calli - wow!

It sure sounds like this is a very, very positive new phase for you and I admire you for having the guts to embrace it. Your story is also a great testimony to what a difference it can make to have a doctor that can lead rather than follow.
                Rebecca Petris
                The Dry Eye Foundation
                dryeyefoundation.org
                800-484-0244

Comment

Plugs

Hi
                  I got a permanent plug put into my lower left lid about 3 weeks ago and it is only somewhat helping at times. It is hard to tell. Some days, lots of tearing, some days very little. I asked about plugging upper lid and doc said, can't do that because then the tears have no where to go. So, I'm just gonna wait and see. The plug is quite comfortable where it is so I guess that is good. Sandi
                  Last edited by sanlee; 04-Oct-2007, 17:43. Reason: didn't work first time

Comment

Working...
                  X