Unsolicited messages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unsolicited messages

If anyone is receiving unsolicited private messages from members who are not active in our community, please let me know. We're seeing some unusual messaging activity in our statistics, so I was a little concerned.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

private msg

Yup..just found private msg all about buddhism...just deleted right away..didn't pay too much attn to sender

Comment

I received one as well on Buddism. I'll pm you the sender.
      Eileen

Comment

Me too. I asked him/her about dry eye but got no response.

Comment

..I got the same thing.

Comment

Thanks everyone. Someone registered as "einstein" and started spamming all our members. All gone now. I'm very sorry for the inconvenience. It's the sort of thing we can never totally prevent.
            Rebecca Petris
            The Dry Eye Foundation
            dryeyefoundation.org
            800-484-0244

Comment

me too!

yep, just saw this on my pm and didn't quite understand it either. thanks for the headsup.

chris c

Comment

I immediately converted to Buddhism and have since received zero annoying messages. ;-}

Comment

We occasionally get spammers here and sometimes they are very subtle. One I discovered today was putting a hyperlink to an AdSense filled site attached to the period in his sentences. I deleted the posts and banned him/her ("mikemortal", the 18-year-old would-be lasik-ee with osteoporosis )

I think there's a "report bad post" button towards the top right of posts that you can use to alert us to suspicious posts. If you see anything "weird" please don't hesitate to use it and we'll check it out.

Thanks
                  Rebecca Petris
                  The Dry Eye Foundation
                  dryeyefoundation.org
                  800-484-0244

Comment

Hey, I didn't know that cute little yield sign was the "bad post" button! Cool. I almost reported your post above me to be bad, Rebecca.

I've had a funny feeling about Mikemortal. I was awfully nice to him in that thread he started. I feel so dirty!

If he resurfaces again, I'll be sure and tell him how healthy LASIK is for him and that he should shop the bargain basement surgeons. That'll fix 'im.

D
                    Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

LOL. Remember the LasikAtHome gag? I think he'd be a great candidate.

It's hard to pin down a funny feeling but that's exactly what I had.

Just fyi - here are some clues I watch out for:
                      - Posting in a thread that's been dead for a long time (sometimes people do this accidentally but... sometimes not)
                      - Posting something that seems like generic (gratuitous) advice - close enough to the general topic that they've clearly put some effort into sneaking under the radar
                      - Any remotely suspicious hyperlinks
                      - Any remotely suspicious hyperlinks IN THE USER PROFILE. I don't normally check these out when people register because it's too time-consuming, so if any of you happen to look at a new user's profile and find a link to a site that has a lot of ads or weird content, please tell me! People who make their livings (or attempt to) from those advertising sites go around and register and post on every bulletin board they can because they know that a certain percentage of people will get curious, look at their profile and click on the links in their profile.
                      Rebecca Petris
                      The Dry Eye Foundation
                      dryeyefoundation.org
                      800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
                      X