Computers are bad, Here's how they affected me despite taking a lot of care

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computers are bad, Here's how they affected me despite taking a lot of care

I spend atleast 8-12hrs on a PC everyday since the last 10 yrs. I always knew that monitors will hurt your eyes, So i always invested on the best of monitors & they helped me a lot, despite so much computer usage, i still donot use glasses, except anti-glare glasses.

But this turned out to be a curse in disguise.Had i not used all those expensive monitors, i believe i would have gotten myopia (a lot of it), which would have scared me away from the screen, but since my vision was so perfect, i just kept on abusing my eyes, which put me into a really hot soup (MGD) & life's never been the same again.
    I was wondering today,what i could have done to prevent MGD & realized the harsh reality that its not worth to staring at a PC at all. Hence this post, to let others know how i feel..

I'm very sorry for the trouble you're having with MGD and how you're feeling about it. But I don't think you should blame youself for it like this...
    Originally posted by sai1930
    Had i not used all those expensive monitors, i believe i would have gotten myopia (a lot of it), which would have scared me away from the screen
    I don't think there is any scientific evidence saying that computer use causes myopia. And people who become myopic put on glasses or contacts. Contacts + computer use would have been a tough combination too.

I was wondering today,what i could have done to prevent MGD & realized the harsh reality that its not worth to staring at a PC at all.
    Problem is, this has been a little-known, poorly understood problem for a long time. Some steps for "computer vision" care might include...
    - more attention to frequent blinking
    - wearing moisture glasses if possible
    - paying attention to humidity levels
    - frequent breaks looking away from the screen
    - regular eye exams including good lid margin exams
    - cutting down on screen time... But for those whose work is all computer based, that's a toughie.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Hi Rebecca,

Thanks a lot for your support. Since i found this site, I have been very positive about how to deal with the problem.

Comment

Working...
      X