Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blepharitis

Hello,
    Im 99% sure my problem is Posterior Blepharitis. I've read blepharitis sometimes "masquerades" as dry eye, however the treatments are generally described as the same. Anyone else with bleph or confused by it?

here is a cutting describing the confusion/complexity/overlap between the 2:

"There is a complex relationship between dry eye syndrome (keratoconjunctivitis sicca) and blepharitis — dry eye is associated with, a complication of, and may be exacerbated by chronic blepharitis. Low levels of tear film phospholipids may result in increased tear film evaporation and dry eyes. It is also possible that low levels of local lysozyme and immunoglobulin levels associated with tear deficiency may predispose to the development of staphylococcal blepharitis. Dry eye has been reported to be present in:
    50% of people with staphylococcal blepharitis
    25–40% people with seborrhoeic blepharitis
    52% of people with ocular rosacea"
    Occupation - Optimistologist

i always thought i only had "dry eye". then, i was told it is post bleph. now that i am treating the bleph i am starting to get relief for dry eye. i think i mistakenly thought my dry eye was simply dry eye but now i believe it is bleph.

Comment

My situation is the same as Autumns. My symptoms hit a plateau until I started treating the blepharitis, now I am beginning to see slow improvements. Some days are better than others.

Comment

mine is "posterior". and please dont lose hope. i suffered for so long and felt like i tried everything. now, i am so relieved that i am making progress.

Comment

Posterior is the most common. It is also called MGD. Blepharitis doesnt "masquerade" as dry eye it causes dry eye. Blepharitis disrupts the lipid tear film causing rapid tear break up.
          Occupation - Optimistologist

Comment

brd888
            Thanks for that post - I've always felt mine was post bleph (MGD) and that caused the DE -dry patches due to evaporation 'cos the glands were dysfunctional
            Interested in the different types of bleph -
            I think mine would be seborhoeic since i have dandruff which i have found very hard to control - managed it though lately withE 45 shampoo
            I also have dry skin - behind the ears flakes ,and at the side of my nose
            They never sub- divide them at the eye clinic
            Is the treatment the same for all three i wonder ?
            I certainly responded to doxy - am off that now for nearly 2 months - I want to keep it in reserve if things got bad again - also you can get too used to it and it ceases to work
            You have certainly done your homework ! Thanks for the research

Comment

Working...
            X