Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody ever heard of this?

Hi there,

I started reading a German book on dry eyes which claims that there is a cure. It was written in 1996 and the author has suffered from severe dry eye and sjögren in her early 20s and got cured.
    She says that the main problem is acidification (due to stress and eating habits). The immune system is weaked and Candida albicans (sorry, I didn't find a proper translation) settle in in your intestine and that causes food allergies. Food allergies cause the dry eye directly. She claims that sjögren is only a further development of this process.

I still haven't read through the whole book but I will definitely get me tested on that (once I'm back in Germany, I do a study abroad semester in London right now and I don't trust the health system here). A woman who runs a sanatorium in Portugal told me the same theory several months ago.

What do you think about that???

I'm really so hopeful, because I need to find a solution because I got diagnosed with sjögren as well and I truly believe that I can change something.

Hi:

Do you have the name of the book. I would be very interested in looking at it as well? BTW Quick question I am 26 with Sjogrens----always interested in knowing how others around my age developed the disease onset--was your onset sudden and severe from the start? Also can you cry and if so is it reduced tearing? Thanks so much. I really desperately await your answers. Thank you.
    If life is a bowl of cherries, then why I am I stuck in the pits!

Comment

I too, would be interested in this book. But to say that Sjogren's dry eye is caused by Candida (yeast) is probably over-generalizing. Maybe it was true in the writer's case.

I too, have had food intolerances since I was 30, which may have been caused by dysentery or parasites (I was traveling then). My digestion really changed and I developed food intolerance to onions, garlic, and fructose (fruit sugar). I think intestinal permeability let foreign substances into my blood stream which started the process of developing auto-immunity (I have Sjogren's also, and auto-immune thyroiditis).

I am always trying to understand WHY this happened, and if there's anything that can reverse the process. I have changed my diet--eliminating dairy, gluten, coffee, etc.---and it seems to help. But I wonder if my auto anti-body levels will drop due to the change.

Doctors don't seem to have much interest in understanding why a patient has an autoimmune disease. I do understand that these are complicated, and have many variables, but surely there are medical researchers looking at correlations and causes----who are studying the personal histories of patients.

Calli

Comment

I didn't post the title of the book because it is in German but anyway here it is: "Das trockene Auge ist heilbar" by Petra Klapp.

btw, I'm 21 and my dry eye has developed very slowly since the age of 15 and it hasn't become worse during the last 2 years and yes, I can still cry very easily. But my mouth is getting dry now as well...

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for the information. Keep me updated if the book holds any answers for you
          If life is a bowl of cherries, then why I am I stuck in the pits!

Comment

To Steph

Hey,

I just noticed you were from Berlin. I went to Berlin this May and they were the worst they have ever been! I could not even go outside!! My family and friends also had problems and they don't even have dry eye!

Comment

my eyes are ususally the same, no matter whether I'm in Berlin, London, at the beach or whereever. But in May there are a lot of pollen - you might have reacted on that!?

Comment

Hi,

If you do a search using the terms 'acid alkaline balance', you will find lots of information about about the importance of maintaining proper body pH. I've read several articles and books on the subject. The book 'The pH Miracle' is a good, easy read.

I try to eat alkalizing foods, exercise etc. etc. to keep my acid levels reasonably low. I believe it helps me a lot in many ways. I feel great, I haven't been sick in ages, my joints don't ache and my eyes (which is what I know everyone really wants to know about ) are stable and for the most part, comfortable.

I rarely eat meat, I buy organic, fresh foods and I make and drink my own kefir (a fermented milk yogurt-y kind of drink that is alkalizing and chock-full of many strains of good bacteria). I exercise every single day (nothing heroic, mostly walking and yoga). I also still drink wine and have the occasional cheeto but noone's perfect.

I check my urine pH every once in awhile but for the most part, the dietary and excercise changes I've made keep me pretty steady.

Easy reading about acid alkaline balance:
                http://www.acid-alkalinediet.com/acidicph.htm
                Cindy

"People may not always remember exactly what you said or what you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel." ~ Unknown

Comment

Good to see you Cindy! Your health plan is inspiring, but I'm just not quite ready for it!
                  Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

just wanted to let you guys know that I'm really into this theory and I got examined and 19 different fungal infection of the intestine (? I'm unsure about the translation?)were found and now I have to fight against them which means taking natural medicine and I'm not allowed to eat sugar (really hard).

My doctor didn't test me on food allergies yet because he was so sure that I might have around 40 or 50. I will get tested on that in 3 weeks.

I'm quite happy my immune system is so bad and confused because that is exactly what is described in the book and the book describes several cases where people were in the same bad condition as I am now and they got cured. I strongly believe that these food intolerances cause my dry eye.

I just wanted to update this thread and I will let you know about all the news I get.

Comment

I recently read a very good book called "Inflammation Nation" by Floyd Chilton, PhD. He talks about how our Western diet is contributing to an epidemic of inflammatory diseases; everything from arthritis to asthma to autoimmune diseases. He focuses on avoiding foods that trigger the inflammatory cascade, such as high glycemic foods and foods that contain large amounts of arachidonic acid (this is the master inflammatory chemical in our bodies). I have changed my diet quite a bit since reading it. Too soon to know if it will cure my ocular rosacea, but my arthritic toe doesn't hurt as much, and I have lost 10 pounds, which was a pleasant side effect!

The idea that our diet can contribute to disease states via inflammation makes a lot of sense, biochemically. Hope this helps.

Kathel

Comment

Which foods contain arachidonic acid ?
                        i have blepharitis and arthritis - Does chocolate contain this ? hope not

Comment

Arachidonic acid only appears in meat, fish, and animal-derived products. But there is a wide range within those groups. For example, farmed salmon has a lot of AA, while wild salmon only has a little. Organ meats and egg yolks have high amounts. Lean beef, chicken, ham, shrimp, tuna, and most fish have low amounts. Dairy products have none. He doesn't say much about chocolate, but I would assume that if there is a lot of sugar in it, it would be considered a high glycemic food. No AA, though.

Kathel

Comment

questions for Kathel

Hi Kathel,

I just bought this book and am willing to give this diet a try. I've been meaing to lose some weight and thought that this diet might also be helpful for my ocular rosacea and eczema.

I am curious as to what brand of supplements you take for the EPA and GLA and how much you take. Dr. Chilton states that it is dangerous to take GLA without taking EPA. I don't think I am going to be able to eat the four servings of Category 1 or 2 fish per week. I can try, but it's going to be tough.

Also, what types of food do you eat when following this diet? I don't have time to make the meals for breakfasts and lunches. Do you have any ideas for quick and easy ways to follow this diet?

Thanks so much for your help!

-Julie

Comment

Originally posted by stephgurl1986
                              I got examined and 19 different fungal infection of the intestine (? I'm unsure about the translation?)were found and now I have to fight against them which means taking natural medicine and I'm not allowed to eat sugar (really hard).
                              stephgurl1986,

I am very interested in learning more about your experience. How did you go about getting tested for internal fungal infections (what kind of doctor and what kind of tests did they run)? What kinds of infections were found? What did the doctor say with regards to how these infections may or may not be affecting your eyes?. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X