For Dr. G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For Dr. G

Thank you for the fascinating survey of the history of scleral lenses, and how they are evolving. I have been eager to learn lots more about these since I almost got fitted for some at BSL, with Dr. Rosenthal, back in the 90s, when my DES first set in.

I do not know if I am a candidate for sclerals, but assuming no particular barriers, in my case, I have always wanted to know whether there is a chance that sclerals could eliminate the "menthol" sensation I've always had, which is the most disabling aspect of my DES. That sensation is one in which the eye surface feels as if a cool wind were blowing directly on it, at all times, even when ambient air is relatively still.

When I wore scleral-size (huge) soft bandage lenses, some years ago, these did not reduce the menthol sensation at all. In fact, I was less able to keep my eyes open with the soft lenses in, than I am without them. (I now wear tightly fitted moisture chambers almost 24/7. Generally my corneas are not in bad shape, but my subjective symptoms can be severe, and I have a TBUT of only 0 to 1 seconds, now possibly getting better via FreshKote.)

Anyway, has anyone ever studied the effects of hard/gp sclerals on the menthol sensation?
    <Doggedly Determined>
Working...
X