Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TRIPHALA-recommended by a friend from India

Hi,

Has anyone tried "triphala churna" ? I was told that people in India soak triphala in water for about 8hrs and then wash the eye surface with it.
    Specifically, my friend grandfather does this twice a day and he has never worn glasses. He also mentioned that there is a burning sensation during washing which goes away quickly.
    I've received a triphala bottle but I am kind a reluctant to try it. On the bottle is printed "cooling & laxative".

All best !!

George

George, you wouldn't catch me trying it with the limited information you have given. Better safe than sorry. LAXATIVE??? That's a long way from your eyes!
    Lucy
    Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeT
      I've received a triphala bottle but I am kind a reluctant to try it. On the bottle is printed "cooling & laxative".
      George
      Reluctant, I can understand that, the cooling part sounds OK not sure about the laxative part though.

Each to their own, not for me I'm afraid. I'm with Lucy on this one.

I've heard of verbal diarrhea but never occular diarrhea.

Cheers

Ian

Comment

Love the humour - you certainly need it in coping with DES !
        Are your eyes still good Ian ?

Comment

Stella

Am still doing OK. Eyes stil get gritty from time to time (like tonight) but am not thinking about them every waking hour these days so things must be better.

Pretty red and bloodshot tonight but it has been a taxing day.

Cheers

Ian

Comment

If you do a Google search using "triphala" and "eye" you will find many mentions of its use as an eyewash. To quote one site "Triphala, as it is called, is the most popular Ayurvedic herbal formula of India."

It is a mixture of 3 herbs and is used as a "bulking hydrophilic fiber" (for internal cleansing), and has many healthful qualities as follows: (quote from this site, where you can find further info and a description of its use as an eyewash).

improves digestion,
            reduces serum cholesterol,
            improves circulation (potentiates adrenergic function),
            contains 31% linoleic acid,
            exerts a marked cardio-protective effect,
            reduces high blood pressure,
            improves liver function,
            has proven anti-inflammatory and anti-viral properties,
            expectorant, hypotensive

Items in the list would be beneficial for the eyes--anti-inflammatory, and loosening of mucous, improving circulation. Linoleic acid is an unsaturated Omega-6 fatty acid.

Just wanted to defend Triphala--it's not "just a laxative."

Calli

Comment

As funny as it sounds, I interpreted "laxative" to be a bad translation for a word probably originating as "relaxing" or maybe "soothing".

Still, I'd agree DES is easily described as a load of SH**.
              Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

Sorry Calli and GeorgeT didn't mean to cause offence to anyone I just saw the post and found it quite amusing.

It may be the wonder drug that I am missing in my arsenal.

I wish you well with it anyway.

Cheers

Ian

Comment

Ah Prattstar, you caught me being serious! (Not that I didn't enjoy all the humorous comments). I wasn't offended. I have a tendency to play devil's advocate, so I took to triphala's defense. And I HAVE used the stuff. Not as an eyewash, though.

There have been several threads here in which IBS (irritable bowel syndrome), digestive problems, and dry eyes have been discussed---is there a connection? Those of us who suffer from both are always open to suggestion---if the digestion gets better, will the eyes get better also?

Still the party pooper....(does that translate OK in the UK?)

Calli

Comment

Originally posted by calli66
                    Ah Prattstar, you caught me being serious! (Not that I didn't enjoy all the humorous comments). I wasn't offended. I have a tendency to play devil's advocate, so I took to triphala's defense. And I HAVE used the stuff. Not as an eyewash, though.

There have been several threads here in which IBS (irritable bowel syndrome), digestive problems, and dry eyes have been discussed---is there a connection? Those of us who suffer from both are always open to suggestion---if the digestion gets better, will the eyes get better also?

Still the party pooper....(does that translate OK in the UK?)

Calli
                    IBS and dry eye related? How strange. I have suffered from IBS for 8 years now and I never thought to connect the 2.

Comment

Thank you all,

I am seeing lots of cons rather than pros about Triphala. I was reluctant from the beginning though. Thank you so much Calli.

Wish you all best,

George

Comment

I am from India, I suffer from MGD,
                        Have been drinking "triphala churna" powder (with some water) since 6 months.
                        It tastes terrible, but i dont think its harmful to drink, but washing your eyes with it, I am not sure..
                        I am not sure if its working, but i drink it once a day, 'cos my dad says, its been used for eye problems, since ages.

The problem with Ayurvedic medicines is they take a lot of time to work & its medicinal values cannot be scientifically proven, so its hard to stay the course, especially since the medications taste unbelievablly bitter (well horror is better word to use), but i believe they generally have no associated side-effects.

Comment

Working...
                        X