Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• floppy eyelid syndrome

Hi there,

I saw my consultant yesterday and he thinks I have floppy eyelid syndrome and require an operation on one eye (only one eye is very dry - other has always been bearable). As far as I know the operation involves removing some skin around the eye. The skin certainly feels floppy and I have other apparent symptoms such as stringy mucus (particularly in morning). My concern is that I have MADE the skin floppy by constant tugging and therefore risk a wrong diagnosis.

I would like to think the consultant knows best and one part of me is very excited at the prospect of a procedure which could "cure"/help me.

Has anyone any experience of this - do you think I could have caused it (the floppiness)?
    Anyone had a similar procedure done - and if so did it work?/any negatives?

Also, I am getting an eye MRI carried out next week - which the consultant tells me he imagines will be "normal". Has anyone any advice - I am claustrophobic so not looking forward to it? I presume it will show all relevant eye input/outputs and should help diagnosis - either proving or disproving the floppy eye syndrome??

Best wishes.

- Seamus

I've never heard of this. It's mentioned in some websites--the lid everts (turns inside out) during sleep and this causes the symptoms/problems. I can understand your being unsure about surgery. Does your lid turn inside out at night? I can't believe that surgery in the eye area would be a good thing, but I don't know anything about this. As far as mucous goes--from what I understand, that comes along with dry eye.

I would be worried that the surgery would disturb the lacrimal glands.

Calli

Comment

I believe floppy eyelid has been discussed on this BB before. I can vaguely remember making fun of the name. It doesn't sound like a formal, latin term like "keratoconjunctivitis sicca".

I believe it may have been Dr. G you mentioned that patients with this issue tend to push their eyes into their pillow at night because it helps to keep them closed. I could be way off, but that's what I recall.

Anyway, do a search on this site. I'm sure you'll find something.
      Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

Working...
      X