Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eye drop help please!?

hello! i have mgd caused by overexposure to garasone and ciproflaxin
    (2 years since). my problem is that i cannot find an eyedrop to relieve the symptoms (vein-y, dry eyes), everything i've tried has simply aggravated my condition. i have tried refresh, tears naturale, theratears, genteal, emu-oil, blink (contact solution) & visine. i'm taking flax oil and doing the hot-compresses but still am desperate for a drop that works.

i've talked to the optometrist about plugs, but she doesn't think they would help and only make my eyes more irritated.

i would be ETERNALLY grateful if anyone could shine some light on this for me. is there anything i could use that won't leave me worse off than before?

thank-you,
    suz

Hi Suz
    I use Theratears in the morning and during the day and Alcon Poly Gel at night and during the night and several times in the day. The Theratears do not last long enough but the Gel seems to generally give me more time before I have to drop again. The Theratears help 'wet' my eyes and probably wash them 'cleaner'. As well as the hot compress try lid massage after warming the eyes. This should help the MGD. The gel does blur my vision for a few minutes.
    Do get Dr Latkany's book. It is really helpful.
    You might like to try Dwelle and Dakrina and Nutratears from this site. Many have found these to be very helpful.
    Cheers
    Dot
    When the going gets tough - the tough get going!

Comment

Hello

Hi
      Have you tried Clarymist spray? Most drops dont have a lot of effect on MGD as they dont stay in long enough. Clarymist is supposed to supplement the lipid layer for a longer period.
      Rgds.
      Occupation - Optimistologist

Comment

thank-you two for the advice. i appreciate your time.

the warm compresses definitely help. my main breakthrough the last couple of days though has been finding similasan dry eye relief drops. i researched all several DOZEN other drops i had tried and wrote down the ingredients. the common denominator was sodium chloride.
        i was skeptical about a homeopathic drop (the only one i could find sans NaCl) but it seems to be really working well. so after literally spending hundreds of dollars on trying things, i've finally found a team of things that help me to basically have normal eyes. after missing many weekend nights and often not leaving the house because of my eyes, words cannot express how thankful i am to have them functioning.

my treatment: warm compresses, similasan eyedrops, 3 flaxseed oil pills, 2 nac pills. i'm also planning on getting an ipl treatment for roseaca done sometime soon. i've heard that flushing skin really puts a lot of stress on the eye. i will let you all know

all the best, friends.

Comment

Stay totally away with the eye drops that have presevatives. Try single vials of Systane. That drop has helped me more than any other I've ever tried. I never believed that preservatives mattered that much until I started on Systane. Give it a try. Make sure to get a box of the vials.

Comment

Does anyone else know about this homeopathic "Similasan" eye drop?

Anyone else found it too be effective? I see that you can get preservative free vial option on this drop.

I have to say that I have never found an eye drop that works. Just this weekend I have received Refresh Endura for the first time.

It also seems so unclear about which drops that you can use with contact lenses....they never seem to make it clear whether you can use them or not.

Comment

Hi
              I too would be interested in any comment regarding Similasan drops?

Ta

EllMitcho
              The magic gloop IS out there somewhere - right?

Comment

Originally posted by Rory
                It also seems so unclear about which drops that you can use with contact lenses....they never seem to make it clear whether you can use them or not.
                This is because eye lubricants and contact lens wetting drops fall under quite different types of regulatory control.

I don't really remember how the MHRA deals with it. But in the US for example, the FDA considers artificial tears ("lubricant eye drops" etc.) to be drugs, while contact lens wetting drops are considered medical devices. The testing and approval processes for these two categories are totally different. That is why the label of an artificial tear cannot talk about use with contacts. It's probably possible for a product to be dual use, BUT this would entail having it named and labeled differently - even if the formulation is identical.
                Rebecca Petris
                The Dry Eye Foundation
                dryeyefoundation.org
                800-484-0244

Comment

Sodium Chloride (NaCl) is simply salt. While obviously too much salt will make your eyes sting (like when sweat runs in), salt does occur naturally in tears. Most (if not all) eyedrops have been adjusted so that the level of salt (osmolarity) is appropriate. So, I'm not sure if NaCl is your problem, but possibly. Also, definately try preservative free Systane. It gives me the longest lasting relief of any drop I've tried so far, but everyone is different.
                  Best of luck

Comment

Working...
                  X