Surprise, surprise, surprise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surprise, surprise, surprise

I had the most incredibly strange thing happen over the last several months and had to share with my Dry Eye buddies. This is rather lengthy and I apologize... If you wish to refresh yourself regarding my story, please check out this link (you may have to cut and paste link in your browser): http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showt...highlight=Judy

Anyway, about 3 months ago I noticed a pink bump between the inner corner of my left eye by my nose and my torn/destroyed left punctum. I went to my eye dr. (actually I went to her partner initially as she was out of town); he stated this was not a chalazion; it is some type of small tumor, but benign and prescribed ointment which I used two weeks. Went back for check-up, the bump had shrunk down and almost disappeared. He had me continue the ointment, then I came back for checkup with my regular dr.. My pressure was way too high at this point, so I was told to go off the ointment (I have steroid-induced glaucoma). My pressure went down but the bump started increasing in size again and my dr. saw me, described this as “very strange, her left caruncle is migrating towards her torn puncta as if trying to repair the puncta”. They took a few pictures. A few weeks later, I noticed a white top on the tumor (it actually resembled a squamous cell skin cancer on my chest which is being removed next week, so I was quite concerned), called the office, they prescribed an antibiotic eyedrop which I began taking. Two days later, I was using a q-tip with my Unisol4, cleaning my eyelids and the white portion came out onto my q-tip. It had a very uniform shape (initially I was thinking it was pus, not to gross anyone out or anything). As I stared at the q-tip I realized it was a tiny punctal plug which apparently had migrated way back in 1995 (this was done by a different dr which I no longer see). So my body created this little volcano and forced out the punctal plug which has been “who knows where” floating around somewhere near my nose or cheek or WHATEVER for over 10 years!!! Back in 1995, I was told it had fallen out and they were unable to replace it as my punctum was sealed. So between then and now, I’ve had three surgeries: an initial exploratory surgery, then two DCR left lacrimal duct surgeries; the surgeries failed and no-one ever discovered this little lost plug... My bump is all gone now and things are stable for today. Just thought this story was fascinating and worth sharing!

Quite a long journey for that little plug! I bet you're glad to finally be rid of it though!

Comment

Wow.....

Judy, was this a punctal plug or intracanalicular?
      Rebecca Petris
      The Dry Eye Foundation
      dryeyefoundation.org
      800-484-0244

Comment

Hi Eli, Yes I most certainly am. I will always wonder if "peewee's" (I just named the cute littler wanderer) migration was the cause of the downfall of my lacrimal duct system, resulting in those surgeries, which most likely started my Blepharitis, etc... Oh well, never look back!!

Comment

Hi Rebecca, this was a punctal plug...

Comment

Judy,

Though your eye history is unfortunate, I rather enjoyed your volcano story. It amazes me what the body is capable of...truly amazing. Some day a pencil lead will probably make it's way out of me somewhere...

D
            Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

Ha, DianeT, You always make me laugh!! Yes, I think it is so cool that my body did not like that foreign object and went about its course to dispel it...over the course of 12 years!! That is some natural healing taking place! I hope the pencil you ate did not have any lead in it!!!

Comment

I'm probably just young enough that pencils had already begun being made with graphite as opposed to lead. I've actually never eaten a pencil or been impaled by one, but it's the first thing that came to my head when I was preparing the "joke". Actually, it was the second thing. The first was a beer bottle cap, but that didn't sound very plausible!

I do recall someone somewhere telling me that a pencil lead went into them in one place and made it's way out near the skin of the kneecap. I thought the story was probably an urban legend, but then here comes your volcano story...

Can't wait to tell my husband your account. Oh my, maybe he was the one with the pencil lead and the knee???

Comment

Diane, re: the lead pencil. I just have to tell you........many years ago (I didn't even know the difference between lead and graphite - so you can be sure it was lead..) I dropped a newly sharpened pencil and the lead went into my leg on the inner side of my knee. It broke off, of course. I let it stay there for a long time and then wanted it out. I could still see it through the skin. The thought of a piece of lead in me wasn't good.

The doctor tried to dig the lead out after a bit of local anesthesia, but couldn't find it. I could see it, but he couldn't find it. So, add a scar on top of the "lead" mark on my knee. Decades later, it's still there and I think it's probably disolved and just left a mark there. Maybe I should be watching my eyes for a dark bump. ? Ya think.
                  Lucy
                  Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Hmmm....very curious. Perhaps it won't come out of your eye. I would be much more convenient to rear it's head at your fingertip...

Comment

Working...
                    X