Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Been taking Wellbutrin XL for 4 years, could it cause dry eye?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Been taking Wellbutrin XL for 4 years, could it cause dry eye?

I have been prescribed wellbutrin and ativan for depression/anxiety for 4 years. This summer I was dx with dry eye. Wellbutrin has a possible side effect of dry mouth.. but can it cause dry eyes too? BTW I believe I have Bleph too, my eyelashes and eyelid base are always itchy now (no flakes though)...?

Anti-depressants can cause reduced tear production

Dr. Latkany notes in his book that anti-depressants and sleeping pills can cause reduced tear production. I googled "Wellbutrin dry eye" and found several links to sites where patients state it causes dry eyes.

You might ask your opthalmologist and the physician who prescribed Wellbutrin to come up with an approach that will enable you to deal with depression without causing you to have dry eyes.

Comment

Wellbutrin (a serotonin and norepinephrine blocker) has mild anticholinergic (drying) properties. The tricyclics such as amytriptaline are much more drying. I think Wellbutrin is less drying than most, but perhaps not as good as the SSRIs (e.g. Prozac, Lexapro). I would also stay away from Effexor.

Comment

Wellbutrin

I have had dry eyes for about 50 years now. Just for background. I went on Wellbutrin about 5 months ago and for me I noticed my eyes are dryer now and my vision has decreased some. My dry eye doc took some tests so that when I come back for the next visit he can compare them. He also noticed my eyes had decreased vision. They are not real bad but it is enough to be noticable. And Wellbutrin is the only thing that is different in things I take and eat.

Comment

Hello! I have been on and off WB for years. I even quit it for 6 months just to help my dry eyes and noticed no difference...

Comment

ive been on the same thing for about 8 to 10 months and i was told by an opthomologist that it makes ur eyes dry

Comment

I'e been told the same from both the prescribing psychiatrist and also my eye doc: Welbutrin can make your eyes drier. Typically, (according to the shrink) patients notice mouth dryness, but ocular drying has been reported too.

Comment

Working...
              X