X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pilocarpine hydrochloride pills

Hi all,

An update:-

Went to Albyn Hospital today to see if they could look into my lacrimal gland defficiency (one eye only).

They have prescribed me some pills (not eye drops) "Pilocarpine hydrochloride" which they say will promote the production of tears (& saliva).

Hadn't heard of this, so just wondered if anyone else has tried it?

They did say I may experience some blurring of vision as it can affect the eye muscles.

The hospital are also refering me back the the NHS hospital here in Aberdeen......but to a different department, a different group of eye docs. Incredibly, that's me come full circle!!!

UPDATE:-
    Not 100%, but I figure this is it:-
    http://www.mongabay.com/health/medic...locarpine.html

Quote: "Pilocarpine, in appropriate dosage, can increase secretion by the exocrine glands. The sweat, salivary, lacrimal, gastric, pancreatic, and intestinal glands and the mucous cells of the respiratory tract may be stimulated.".

The doc said to me I could see as much as 25% increase in lacrimal secretions.....if it works at all. But I'd also see 25% increase in saliva etc if it did work. He also said it may make my asthma worse.....which bears out the quote above also. So he seemed to know what he was talking about.

A bit worrying though, in eye-drop form it's for treating glaucoma.....and one side affect is detached retinas!

Hmmmmm!

Ian.
    Last edited by IanJ; 11-Dec-2007, 04:55.

Never heard about this before. I have been all over the UK for the past 15 years trying to find an answer to my very dry eyes.

I would be very interested to know if it works. Keep us posted.

Rory

Comment

I have heard of pilocarpine. It is a treatment most commonly used in Sjogrens and glaucoma patients I believe. It sells under the name Salagen in the States.

Good luck with it. I hope it does something for your eyes. You'll probably drool a lot!
      Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

Usage of it

Ian,
        I've been using it in tablet form for about 4 years. I have Sjogren's Syndrome. It does increase the moisture in my eyes. I've found that I need to take the tablet with at least a glass of water and some food in order to decrease the side effects from it. Hope it helps you. For me it's definitely worth putting up with the side effects. And without it, I couldn't eat because of the lack of saliva.

Good luck,
        Billye

Comment

Hi Ian-
          Like Silverlady, I have Sjogrens. I have Salagen and use it only on occasion. It does give me more saliva, which I need. It does not help my dry eyes, which I need even more. I've encountered some side effects I don't like with this med and keep it's use to when I think it will be most useful.

You should not take this as a reason not to try it. Perhaps I have not taken the care to stay with this med so it would help me to the max. Since it doesn't help my eyes, I just did not stay with it. Definitely worth a try for you.
          Lucy
          Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Hi all,

Picked up the pills today.....it's SALAGEN.

The only thing I am a bit worried about is the rise in blood pressure as a side affect........it's not that I have particularly high blood pressure, it's that I am a bit sensitive to retinal vein occlusions (for which I'm on aspirin). However, I did tell the doc all this.....so we'll see what happens. I think I'll take Salagen in a low dose to start with and maybe work up to the prescribed.

Bloomin' expensive though......£25 for one packet!!!

Ian.

Comment

Generic?

Ian,
              would the generic of Salagen be cheaper for you? It's Pilocarpine. My co-pay on my insurance is a whole lot cheaper for the generic.

Billye

Comment

IanJ

I had the same thing prescibed by my NHS dr and paid the standard prescription fee.

I still have a loads of it as I stoped using it. It made my eyes water more (not good tears) and the constant saliva thing did not impress me at all.

Try getting it from your GP, mine is exactly as you described.

Cheers

Ian P

Comment

Hi,

I took one pill and about 20mins later I felt a shivver run through my body and all of a sudden my mouth started gushing like you wouldn't believe. It lasted about 4 or 5 hours before it wore off.

I haven't taken another pill since......I'm a bit afraid of the saliva gushing again.....which makes me wonder if this is just an initial reaction to the drug and maybe it would be better after time.......anybody?

Ian.

Comment

Wish I could tell you..

Ian,
                    I wish I could tell you the shiver would go away, but I still get it sometimes after taking this medication for four years or so.

If I take it with a glass of water and some food in my stomach, the side effects don't seem to be so bad. But taken on an empty stomach with only a little water, I can guarantee shivers, gushing saliva, sweating. Food and water seem to slow it down a little. And your body will get more used to it with time.

Billye

Comment

Would a change in dosage help this?
                      Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

Duh...

Diana,
                        Can't believe I didn't suggest cutting the pill in half for Ian. Doctor overload and physical therapy. Makes my brain not work at all. Since he's not used to the med, it may give him the results he needs.

Ian...a trial of cutting the pill down might be a good idea. I don't get much from 1/2 a pill, but since you haven't been taking it for an extended period of time, it may be enough for you. The pill is small, but they make those pill cutters. I bought mine at Walmart.

Good luck,
                        Billye

Comment

But, Ian, do you want to sweat - or do you want tears? I believe Silverlady gets some tears from the use of pilo. I get saliva and sweat. Not good. The saliva is something I need more and more, but I limit it's use because of the sweating and it doesn't give me tears at all. Let us know more how it works for you, huh?
                          Lucy
                          Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

I keep thinking there should be a "natural" version of this drug. I read somewhere that it comes from a South American plant which the locals call "slobber-mouth," or something like that. See, instead of a pill, you'd have this little dried leafy wad....kind of like chewing tobacco.... and you'd nip off a little hunk, put that in your mouth, and wait for the reaction. Too much saliva, and you'd take less next time.

Probably tastes awful. And you'd have to buy a spittoon.

C

Comment

Working...
                            X