questions about weather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• questions about weather

hi guys...i've been suffering through another bout of dry eyes and had a thought. I live in North Carolina, and we've been going through a pretty bad drought, with very little rain for months now. its been much drier and warmer than usual. could this exacerbate dry eyes? i definitely started having these problems during this stupid drought...any suggestions on how to deal with this aspect of things if in fact it is a contrbuting factor?

Humidity is definitely a concern

I live in Arizona, which is just about as dry as it gets, so I can vouch for the difference humidity makes in dry eye comfort. Luckily, you can compensate by increasing the humidity in interior environments and wearing goggles or moisture-chamber glasses when you are outside. (Or, if you don't like North Carolina, you can use dry eyes as an excuse to move to Florida or the Caribbean. )

I bought a Honeywell humidifier for my office from Target, based on Consumer Reports somewhat dated (2004) humidifier ratings. BTW, Target keeps humidifiers in two locations: a group of kid-oriented models are in the Health & Beauty section; and the better ones are grouped with space heaters and air purifiers. The office humidifier makes a big difference.

You can also get whole-house humidifiers, which install inline with your heating system. I didn't choose that option for home because we don't use the heater very much or for very long during a year, and my home is about 10 points more humid, based on hygrometer readings, than my office.

There is a humidifier thread on this board somewhere, if you are interested in other people's experiences.

Comment

Working...
    X