Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frustrated

Hey everyone,

I just need to vent to people who understand how painful dry eyes can be. I think I've always had some mild dry eyes...I was always uncomfortable when the heater/AC was on and I could not stand the smoke from BBQ's and bonfires. No biggy though.

BUT in the past few months, my eyes have been constantly dry. I've stopped wearing my contacts which totally sucks because I am a -10. Work is horrible since I work in a lab and the air is extremely dry there. Of course, I cannot bring a humidifier into a lab. At work, all I think about is when the day will end, instead of being excited about my experiments and the prospect of scientific discovery and publishing. I'm only 23 years old and I now spend my weekends and night holed up in my room w/ the humidifier on blast because that's the only relief I get. What's worse is that I've been told I have MGD and that warm compresses and azithromyin should help me feel better, but instead my eyes feel even more worse!!! I don't know what to do...should I continue the warm compresses or not!?!?

I've dreamt of going to medical school for so long and I was preparing to take the MCAT, but now I can't even study because my eyes hurt so much. I wonder how I will be able to stare at the computer for 5-6 hours to take the test. Sometimes I wonder if I'll always feel like this and I will never be able to accomplish my career goals, or if i'll end up at a boring job I hate because that's the only place my eyes are semi-comfortable. I know...I hate to sound dramatic, but that really is how I feel sometimes, esp when I am at work.

I don't really vent to anyone because they dont' understand; dry eyes sound so trivial. I am so glad and thankful I found this website and people who understand. Thanks for reading about my frustrations and I hope that everyone has a good eye day.

Take heart. There are a number of us on this board (myself included) whose dry eyes have improved greatly since we read Dr. Latkany's book, "The Dry Eye Remedy," and/or the the information on this board, in the Dry Eye Overview, and in the Dry Eye FAQs.

Unfortunately, opthalmologists and optometrists who really understand how to diagnose the cause of an individual's dry eyes appear to be few and far between. That should be your goal, though. Unless you know where your dry eye is coming from, you won't be able to address it as effectively as you can once you understand what's causing it in the first place.

If you have MGD, you should absolutely continue warm compresses. (If you don't have MGD, warm compresses are still a great way to relieve tired eyes at the end of a day.) However, there's more to it than just a warm compress. I really like using a rice baggy. I put it over my eyes for 5 minutes in the evening, then follow up with Dr. Latkany's recommended procedure for expressing the MG oil and cleaning up any debris to prevent irritation. You might want to read the threads on MGD to see what others do.

If you work in a lab, you might also want to buy some moisture chamber glasses or the kind that work with your prescription glasses. There are many threads on this site that discuss moisture chamber options.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

Comment

odydnas,

My dry eye became severe while I was in the process of applying to doctoral programs. Life was hell during that period of time (Oct. 06-Jan. 07). My eyes are in stable enough condition now that I was able to make it through my first term without my eyes really holding me back. Treatments take a long time to work, but you get relief eventually, even though I know it seems like you never will. Hang in there. Also, I am a -14 and was out of contacts for a year. Now I wear them for a few hours most days. It has been a huge adjustment wearing such strong glasses all the time when I am used to perfect vision out of contacts all my life. I am 28 years old.

Comment

Thanks Terri and Gettin Better,

I was having a very bad eye day and extremely frustrated. Thanks for the advice terri and glad to know that you're getting through your graduate program fine gettinbetter. It was raining today and my eyes felt better w/ the humidity =))

Hope you all have a good holiday season!!

Comment

Odynas,

I empathised so completely with your feelings of despair. Do not think that you are exaggerating... it read totally rational to me. Dry eyes is a massively debilitating condition. I developed mine 15 years ago at Law school. However you are fortunate today...because there is much more understanding about the condition. Without the internet or educated Drs I truly was alone and thought that I was going mad.

You also have this fantastic forum where I am sure that you will pick up numerous ideas to improve your condition. I truly believe that long term sufferers have alot more to offer than most opthalmologists. So if you need any support or advice feel free to pm me.

Rory.

Comment

Working...
          X