Saliva and Dry eyes question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saliva and Dry eyes question

It sounds weird, but I started noticing that while I was eating meals my eyes didn't hurt as much. So I have started eating a lot of sour and hot candy and it does help. I am trying to find some good sugar free kinds now. Is there some connection between my saliva and tears that I don't know about or is the taste just taking my mind off my eyes?

Info: I always had trouble wearing contacts, but only had problems with dry eye after Lasik a few years ago.
    Last edited by Filazafer; 19-Dec-2007, 09:12. Reason: correction

Everything, including the contact lens, Lasik stuff, is also true for me. I also notice that when I eat my eyes feel better. Chocolate helps, hot and spicy...

I've never gotten an explanation for this, but I have heard other DES sufferers admit the same thing.

Diana
    Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

I've noticed this connection almost from day one. I think that salivation and lacrimation are somehow linked, possibly through the autonomic nervous system. I too have had success with hard candies. Those Listerine pocket packs really do the trick; I call them "instant tears". However, because of their menthol content, I wonder if they might exacerbate my rosacea, in the same way spicy foods do. So, I'm trying to stick with sour life savers. Sugar free would be the best, I guess.

Kathel

Comment

Working...
      X