Rosacea Laser Tx and ocular effects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rosacea Laser Tx and ocular effects

Anyone had IPL or Vbeam done for facial rosacea and seen any improvement in ocular rosacea or increased ocular dryness?

Hi Niteyorkie,

I have ocular rosacea and have looked into all the treatments I can find. I am a dermatologist, and recently read an article in one of our journals about a team in San Antonio that specializes in laser treatment of rosacea. They use a multipass technique involving intense pulsed light and a 1064 laser, in one session. It takes about 3 sessions usually, but they get lots of out-of-towners and can compress the treatments over a few days. The center is run by a vascular surgeon and a vascular physiologist. I was intrigued, and called Dr. Nase, the physiologist. I asked if the treatments help ocular rosacea and he assured me that it did. In fact, he himself had such disabling ocular rosacea for many years that it led him to this research and he says he is cured now. I was going to go down there to check them out, but haven't found time yet. In the meantime, I got four IPL treatments to my face at my office, and have found that my flushing episodes are almost gone. My eyes seem to be slowly getting better with all the things I'm doing, so I don't know how much to attribute to what. I'm holding this multipass laser treatment in reserve. If anyone is interested, their website is www.rosaceainstitutetexas.com. I would love some feedback if anyone tries their treatment!

Kathel

Comment

I would suggest that anyone considering a trip to the Rosacea Institute first google "Dr. Geoffrey Nase" and do their homework. As I too suffer from debilitating ocular rosacea, I certainly hope he is on to something. However, I must say that there are some pretty negative allegations concerning his conduct/character floating around cyberspace.

Comment

Wow, I had no idea Nase was such a controversial figure. In any event, I do think that IPL or v-beam treatments are worth a try. If you can decrease the overall excess vascularity and flushing of the face it might help the eyes a little.

Kathel

Comment

Oh, don't get me wrong-I would be thrilled if the treatment was efficacious at helping ocular symptoms too. What are some of the other therapies you use for your eyes? I'm glad to hear they are slowly getting better! I was thinking of trying the Brady Barrows "rosacea diet" and/or an alkaline diet for a while to see if it helps my eyes. Any thoughts on these?

Comment

I feel like I've tried everything but the kitchen sink....I saw Dr. Latkany in August, and started good lid hygeine after that. I use Pataday once daily for an allergy component. I use Systane drops several times a day. I have been on doxycycline for over a year; recently tried Zithromax and Septra, but had to stop both due to side effects. I took two doses of Ivermectin, one week apart, to cover for Demodex. I use dandruff shampoo, alternating with tea tree shampoo, to cover for seborrheic blepharitis. I have been using some erythromycin ointment to the eyelid margins once daily for the past week, and Altabax ointment in the nostrils twice daily for 5 days to cover for possible staph carriage. (I see a lot of MRSA here and am probably a carrier). I have started putting a little testosterone cream on my eyelids once daily and am thinking about trying the DHEA drops.

So, that's about it. As I mentioned, I did have the IPL treatments and now the flushing component of the rosacea is under control. I'm also trying humidifiers now that the heat is on. I try to get plenty of rest, and control stress (ha!)

Good luck to all of us! And happy holidays!

Kathel

Comment

Oops, I forgot to mention that I'm on an anti-inflammatory diet, as per the book "Inflammation nation" by Floyd Chilton, PhD. As a result, I have lost 10 lbs.

Kathel

Comment

How is that all working for you? What's your diet like? Stay away from bad fat/carbs? Sounds like that stuff should be working pretty well.
                Which is it? Is it what you know or who you know? Or is it how well you convey what you know to who you know it to?

-Tim

Comment

Ive found that altering ones diet really helps for alot of things, mood, ibs symptoms, rosacea, pain etc. But ive tried it for my eyes on and off ever since i got the blasted condition it just never seems to help my eyes at all. I was on a really strict diet avoiding all unhealthy things (wheat, dairy etc) for several months when i experienced ibs symptoms after antibiotics, it helped the ibs but never stopped my dry eye coming back as bad as ever when the IBS died down. Dry eye is the most frustrating thing ever!
                  I healed my dry eye with nutrition and detoxification. I'm now a Nutritional Therapist at: www.nourishbalanceheal.com Join my dry eye facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/420821978111328/

Comment

Working...
                  X