Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allergies

Hello,
    One area I have not yet considered as a cause for my problem is allergies. Looking at it, though, it is a very complex issue. Traditionally I have not been allergic to anything but maybe something has changed over the last few years. Anyone had issues or luck by nailing their DES to allergies?

Thanks,
    Bruce
    Occupation - Optimistologist

I've never had terrible allergies but have had a couple springs and falls that have been sympomatic. On Dr Latkany's advice, I went to an allergist to get tested and turns out Im very allergic to numerous things, the worst being dust mites. So at that point, my allergist recommended allergy shots. If you don't know, they are not too much fun. Not that the shot itself bothers me but its a once a week thing for six months (once a month after) which kills a lot of lunch hours. Then I relocated with my company a couple weeks ago so I couldn't do them anymore. I scheduled an appt with another allergist now but its not til mid Jan so I will have to start the whole process over again.

I don't think I ever saw a change but I wasn't that far up in doseages so I was still hopeful. It definitely affects some people and although I don't have year round normal symptoms, maybe it just goes to my eyes...who knows.

I'd get tested at least, its worth a shot!

Daren

Comment

Thanks Daren,
      There is just something missing with my diagnosis. It points to MGD but the inner lids look relatively good - there are no lumps on the glands and secretions seem clear and thin. Eye whites have slight redness but nothing major. Wetness is easily created. However the condition is still there - persistent and unresponsive. Grr.
      Regards,
      Bruce

Comment

from what i know (and i ve read a lot ecc) the most common sign of allergies is itching...if your eyes don t itch and just burn ecc you only have dry eye...
        allergies also usually affect nose too and the symphtoms become more present when you are "near" the allergen...
        anyway yes a skin test can help you understand if you have allergies...bye

Comment

allergies

I am a long-time dry eye sufferer and, after seeing many doctors, I finally saw Dr. Latkany who diagnosed me as suffering from allergies -- along with possibly rosacea and also there could be some other unknowable cause. I got an allergy test, and, sure enough, I tested high-positive for pollens, dust mites, and ragweed. I have gone for allergy shots, have bed encasing, and use an air purifier when I sleep, but they have not helped tremendously. Unfortunately, allergy shots are not very effective for the eyes. Latkany did help me much much more than any other doc by telling me to put cold compresses on my eyes rather than the hot compresses which burned my skin. And the allergy eyedrops he gave me do seem to help. So my dry eyes may be caused by allergies, and the treatment aside from allergy shots does help. That's my story.

Comment

ericdinn i guess you eyes itch very often since allergies right? Bye

Comment

It is my observation that when the eyes are dry they are more prone to allergies
              Also allergies cause and aggravate dry eye
              So it is a vicious circle
              Dr Latkany very often suggests to people in Q&A that they may also have allergies
              Before i got DE i had no problem whatsoever using eye makeup or eye creams & if i got soap/shampoo /conditioner in my eyes i simply rinsed them with cold water --- What a different story now -- I have become paranoid about anything that may irritate the eyes including smoke(especially barbacues)cigarettes/airosole sprays/haisprays/perfumes /onions -- The list is long
              My conclusion that allergies cause & aggravate DE comes from personal experience too ---
              I am v obviously allergic to all preservatives in eye drops
              and THAT is what started off my problems-- having to use antibiotic drops for an acute eye infection, for 3 weeks (2 types ,both containing BAK - I did'nt then know i was so allergic to preservatives and perservered 'cos i thought they were curing the infection, when in fact they were probably giving me the chronic condition i now have - and what a spite, when it was realized that i really did 'nt need antibiotics anyway as my infection was viral not bacterial (2 of my grandchildren had eye infections and i got it from them ,both under two )They recovered within a couple of weeks -
              I may have had a predisposition to DE 'cos of my age which did'nt help
              I am now much better i am relieved to report - but i know i will never be 100%
              I have learned two things
              1 Follow your instincts - If something aggravates your eyes -stop using it/or keep away from it
              2 The less you put in your eyes the better - They are v delicate structures and the chemical ballance is easily upset A minimalist approach is what i take - only drops if necessary

Comment

Originally posted by Francesco
                from what i know (and i ve read a lot ecc) the most common sign of allergies is itching...if your eyes don t itch and just burn ecc you only have dry eye...
                Itching and burning aren't exactly clinical descriptions though, are they? To be honest my sensation from dry eye is ever changing. Sometimes it feels like an itching, sometimes burning.

Rgds

Comment

I am just now finishing up my allergy immunization shots. If anything, my eyes itch more now than they did before. But like you said, my symptoms are ever changing. But hey, it can't hurt, right?

Comment

Working...
                  X