Dry Lips and Dry Eyes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Julie1 View Post
    Interestingly, one of my co-workers...recently had Lasik surgery this past month and is not experiencing any dryness.
    I don't want to forebode anything bad for your co-worker by any means, but just as an FYI... It is not at all uncommon for dry eye symptoms after LASIK to kick in only after several weeks or even months. With all the initial nerve loss from the flap cut in the cornea, people may not FEEL the dryness, which is one of the reason for the strict schedule of artificial tears doctors usually put them on for the first weeks or month. Some make the mistake of not taking those if they don't feel dry.

When I first wandered onto the internet forums after my LASIK, in 2001, I remember coming across many people who, like me, had their dry eye symptoms kick in big-time around the 3-month post-op mark.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Your explanation makes sense, Rebecca. I don't think it would be helpful at this point to warn my co-worker that dryness might kick in later since he has already had the surgery, but I'll keep an eye out for him so that I can suggest some treatments or this website if he starts experiencing dry eye. He does have absolutely horrible rosacea, so it's strange that his eyes don't seem to be bothering him.

I also found it very interesting that my company paid $300 (or 10%) towards the surgery as an employee benefit under health and wellness. At least, that's how I understood it when my co-worker was explaining the financial aspect of the surgery.
      Last edited by Julie1; 30-Jan-2008, 15:38.

Comment

My company paid $3,000 towards my LASIK. That was back in the days when I was gainfully employed .

Somehow I don't think The Dry Eye Company will ever offer coverage for refractive surgery as a benefit.
        Rebecca Petris
        The Dry Eye Foundation
        dryeyefoundation.org
        800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
        X