ice packs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ice packs

I apply cold packs to my eyes for 5 min 2 x day which help my MGD immensely. More specifically, I use eye-shaped gel packs that I put in the freezer which work well.

My problem, however, is that when I travel I am out of luck -- all that is available for me are ice cubes or crushed ice -- and for some reason, when I put them in plastic freezer/sandwich bags and apply them to my eyes, they don't work nearly as well as the gel packs and my eyes continue to feel dry and sticky. I think, but am not sure, it is due to the fact that the cold that goes through the plastic bag from an ice cube is too intense and also causes my eyes to water. Putting a paper towel, or even a tissue, over the plastic bag makes it so that not enough cold goes through and that doesn't work.

Does anyone have any recommendations for an ice pack container that will fit well on my eyes that I could use for travel and fill up with ice? Thanks!

Helps you MGD???? Cold??? i thought only warm compresses could open clogged glands

Comment

Eric, icepacks have helped me through 8 years of eye torture. I use the hotpacks and scrubs too. But ice is the real pain killer for me.

Travelling-hmmmm. I have several things I've used. I keep at home a few gel icepacks in the freezer. I've bought some gelpacks inside a mask that are removable for washing the cover. I've used ziplock bags with crushed ice which is usually able to be found in a hotel. I always carry my own washcloths too. Have you tried wrapping a wet - or dry washcloth over the icebag to see if this helps?

One other idea is to have crushed ice and put in a little cold water so the ice "floats" in the water. I know the ice will melt quicker that way, but it might help fit the plastic bag to your eyes better. If I think of anything else, I'll post it. Maybe a small weighted pillow to hold the icepack in place (tighter against your eyes)? I'm all out of ideas right now.
      Lucy
      Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Instant Cold Packs

Why don't you try instant cold packs? I haven't used them for my eyes, but I don't see why you couldn't. They don't require freezing or refrigeration. They're one-time-use items. They're sold for first-aid purposes. You usually twist them or squeeze them and they magically get really cold. It's sort of an envelope made of paper with something inside that gets activated and gets cold. I don't know what the inside is made of but it never touches your skin. I've used them to hold on bruises. If you google "instant cold pack" you'll see a bunch of them.

Comment

instant cold packs

I've tried instant cold packs but they don't work. My dry eye condition is very sensitive to the type of cold that is applied -- meaning, only certain treatments work, e.g. ice cubes in a ziploc bag do not work for me, and while crushed ice in a ziploc bag does not work very well, it does have a better effect than ice cubes.....

Comment

Originally posted by ericdinn
            ice cubes in a ziploc bag do not work for me, and while crushed ice in a ziploc bag does not work very well, it does have a better effect than ice cubes.....
            How about crushed ice in a very heavy duty ziploc bag?

Or... stick your eye-shaped gelpack in a very thin ziploc with an ice cube or two behind it to keep it cold and wrap them up tight?
            Rebecca Petris
            The Dry Eye Foundation
            dryeyefoundation.org
            800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
            X