basal tears vs reflex tears and yawning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• basal tears vs reflex tears and yawning

Does anyone know if yawning tears are basal tears or reflex tears? I believe that reflex tears come from the main lacrimal gland, and basal tears are procuced from the auxilliary lacrimal glands which line the inside of the eyelids, right? So where do the yawning tears come from? I'm thinking that yawning tears are probably reflex tears, but to me they feel really good and don't irritate my eyes like crying tears do. Unfortunately when I'm really dry, I don't get tears when I yawn. Does everyone else find yawning tears soothing?

-Shells

I find that yawning, like when I'm really sleepy, produces tears. I didn't even know that there were different types. I'll take whatever I can get.

Comment

I suspect yawning tears are reflex tears. Check out this thread: Basal vs reflex tears
      Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

Shells,
        Your normal steady state tears come from the auxillary or accessory lacrimal glands. The main gland (superiotemporal) is a reservor or back up gland. These tears are typically reflex tears and are of a different composition than your normal tears.

Comment

Working...
        X