Meiboian gland - can it atrophy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meiboian gland - can it atrophy?

- to the point where it doesn't produce any more oil?
    Also Im trying to do the rice baggy and express my glands, but not sure if I'm doing it right,.. any tips would be appreciated.

Originally posted by yoganut
    - to the point where it doesn't produce any more oil?
    From what people say, that seems to be the case. Note that you probably won't ever be see the oil excretions...unless they are really messed up. I've read that they can look like toothpaste in that case.

Daren

Comment

I'm wondering about this, too. I've been doing the eyelid massage with the Q-tip (Latkany method) and it makes my eyes feel better--more "alive." But I'm not sure I've seen oil gland secretions---not sure what they look like or where on the lid to look.

Anybody got a detailed description?

Calli

Comment

It "seems" that atrophy is likely with Sjogrens which directly attacks the moisture producing glands, and/or perhaps the longer a person has DES without successful treatment. Totally off the top of my head--but it seems most newer cases might be brought to successful treatment with the proper care.
        Lucy
        Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

The short answer is yes the meibomian glands and lacrimal glands can and do atrophy over time. The problem is how much time has your ocular surface been exposed to inflammation and other sensory stimulation or lack thereof. Lucy is correct in that it happens faster in people with autoimmune disease related dry eye than other types.

Comment

I wonder is it possible for your doctor to determine if your lacrimal glands have atrophied. A schirmers of 0mm, might just mean that you are exceptionally dry that day or maybe your inflammation at that point is very bad, but is there a way that they can tell by looking if the glands are completely atrophed? I've had doctors flip up my eyelids before and look underneath, but not really sure what they were looking for.

-Shells

Comment

Originally posted by shells View Post
              I wonder is it possible for your doctor to determine if your lacrimal glands have atrophied....I've had doctors flip up my eyelids before and look underneath, but not really sure what they were looking for.
              You mean you weren't sure, or they weren't sure

Check out this link. I once had a link to a CE course with really good information about meibography - thought I'd posted it on that page but apparently not - I will see if I can re-find it.
              Rebecca Petris
              The Dry Eye Foundation
              dryeyefoundation.org
              800-484-0244

Comment

Hi Rebecca,

Yes, you are right, they probably aren't sure either! I do complain alot about my upper lids aching, so maybe they just think they are making me feel better by looking up there . Only a few of the many docs I have seen have done this.

Thanks for the information on the meibography. Indrep also mentioned that the lacrimal glands can atrophy. I thought that an inflammatory condition could lead to the atrophy? I wonder if there is a similar test for the lacrimal glands? I know that the auxilliary lacrimal glands (where the basal tears come from) line the inside of the upper eyelids, just not sure if the eye docs can actually see them like then can the meiobian glands? And even if they can see them, not sure if they can tell whether or not they are permanently damaged (atrophied) or if you are just really dry at the time.

-Shells
                Last edited by shells; 18-Jan-2008, 11:56.

Comment

When the docs flip your lids, they are looking for irregularities such as bumps, chalazions (spelling?), anything that might cause friction when you blink. I'm sure it's more complicated that this, and possibly they can tell more by the color, blood vessels etc of your inverted eyelid. I once had a second opinion doc flip my lid, took off a small growth my own doc had never bothered to flip my lid. It didn't help anything. Seems for what it costs us to see them, they could "flip our lids" just to take a look. Lucy
                  Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Working...
                  X