Idle Chatter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idle Chatter

I had an appointment today with my eye butcher. I do this on a quarterly basis for a number of reasons. None of which ever get better, but.....
    He examines my eyes through the slit-lamp and starts dictating to the tech what to put in the records. The right eye has a cataract, but other than that feels pretty good. The left eye is trash through and through and is a big pain 24/7. I suggest to him that he try Synergyes on me for dryness. I just thought about this on the way to his office as I know he is a Synergyes doc. Well, he said no, but did put on an Acuvue 2 (really the tech did) on the left eye.

I told him for the millionth time.......I am not giving up. This thing (my damaged eye) is 8 years old this month and that's a long time to be in agony. Then I said " If I'd had a kid at that time, he's be a third grader by now." Both the doc and tech looked at me with stone faces and didn't crack a smile. The left eye has SPK on it. HELLO? Nothing ever changes. So with drops hourly on the left eye and also 2 or 3 times through the night and Tranquileyes, I still have SPK. I just had corneal scraping done on this eye 6 months ago, and apparently it's done nothing. But, I'm wearing a soft lens as a bandage and see the doc in a week. I have Zymar for that eye @4 x day. I did this not too long ago, too, wearing a bandage lens. I know it's a futile effort.
    Lucy
    Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Hi Lucy,

Sorry you are still having so much trouble with your left eye. I'm still amazed that after all this time you can go see your "butcher" and remain sane afterwards.

Originally posted by Lucy
    I told him for the millionth time.......I am not giving up. Lucy
    I like your attitude. I know you've been through so much more than most of us, and you definitely deserve some relief!

-Shells

Comment

Sorry, Lucy. Same old thing. Look on the bright side...at least you don't have a third grader...

Maybe the bandage lens will help this time around...gotta be optimistic for you.
      Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

My butcher knows my case. That's my reasoning. I do not have to repeat my history every time I go in. I've been to several other docs in town and the first thing they want to do is "send me for Lasik." I need a doc who will take me in an emergency. I just never knew our bond (dr/patient) would be such a long one. Plus, I remember more of what he's tried than he has and he believes me. The techs are always looking through my chart. They don't know they are on Volume II or III. I just thought I'd add some nonsense to the board for a change. Lucy

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

You are obviously the subject of "tech lunch" chatter!
          Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy
            [snip]
            He examines my eyes through the slit-lamp and starts dictating to the tech what to put in the records. The right eye has a cataract, but other than that feels pretty good. The left eye is trash through and through and is a big pain 24/7. I suggest to him that he try Synergyes on me for dryness. I just thought about this on the way to his office as I know he is a Synergyes doc. Well, he said no, but did put on an Acuvue 2 (really the tech did) on the left eye.

I told him for the millionth time.......I am not giving up. This thing (my damaged eye) is 8 years old this month and that's a long time to be in agony. Then I said " If I'd had a kid at that time, he's be a third grader by now." Both the doc and tech looked at me with stone faces and didn't crack a smile. The left eye has SPK on it. HELLO? Nothing ever changes. So with drops hourly on the left eye and also 2 or 3 times through the night and Tranquileyes, I still have SPK. I just had corneal scraping done on this eye 6 months ago, and apparently it's done nothing. But, I'm wearing a soft lens as a bandage and see the doc in a week. I have Zymar for that eye @4 x day. I did this not too long ago, too, wearing a bandage lens. I know it's a futile effort.
            Lucy
            Lucy, thanks for this information about your experiences. Your case is so complicated, and it is interesting to me to hear more details about it.

What is SPK?

When you have the bcl, does it stay on overnight for days at a time or do you change it every day?

Sorry for all of the questions, but I find your story to be interesting, and I find you to be remarkable in your perseverance.

--Liz

Comment

Lucy - my admiration for you knows no bounds !
              You are always so cheerful and fun -loving in your posts
              You are a very plucky person ,and are an inspiration for many of us reading these posts
              Your attitude just shows that it's not what life throws at you that makes you a success in life - but how you handle things
              I'm going to pray really hard for you to get some unexpected relief !!
              You so deserve it

Comment

Stella- You overestimate my pluck.

Liz:
                What is SPK? SPK hurts and see the link below

http://www.merck.com/mmhe/sec20/ch230/ch230b.html

When you have the bcl, does it stay on overnight for days at a time or do you change it every day?

The bandage lens stays in 24/7. I use Zymar 4 x day to prevent infection while wearing the lens. Also drops because of dryness. I'm not sure this will last 7 days until I see eye doc again. It's not very comfy and is further blurring my vision. Sometimes they just fold up or come off and you can't just put them back in.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

sunglasses/extreme light sensitivity

Hi All,
                  I am new to this board. I notice some of your pictures w/ sunglasses, and I totally get it! I am so frustrated being recently diagnosed w/ dry eye. The compiication is that I am already blind in my left eye (childhood detached retina). So when my right eye is closed from severe light sensitivity, I am a visually impaired person. I am having a hard time understanding what is happening to me. I call my eye doctor and say the Lotemax is not doing it and he says be patient for the Restasis to kick in, first he says in 2 months, then his assistant says in two weeks. He has nothing else to offer other than wear dark sunglasses and do warm compresses. "Hope things get better for you, " his tech says on the phone,. Meanwhile, I'm struggling with deciding to take time off from work (I;m a first grade teacher and it is so damned hard to get away from teaching)!
                  I just don't know what to do. I wear sunglasses most of the day, indoors, outdoors. It is not enough.
                  I am afraid I will ultimately end up indigent and collecting disabiltiy. i do not have a good feeling about this...
                  What can you tell me about your experiences with light sensitivity? It is my only complaint. Doc says my eyes look healthy, other than being dry, and in between blinks I can read the random line of letters...(with my one good eye).
                  I just feel like nobody really understands that this is not just a discomfor issue, it is a vision issue, I am VISUALLY IMPAIRED!!
                  I can't drive and have to carpool for the moment w/ a co-worker.
                  Sorry for this random posting, just trying to get my bearings on this board. Thanks for being here,

Vickie

Comment

Working...
                  X