Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valved tube shunt - article

Hi all,

Sorry if this has been posted before. Looks like a nice solution.

Go to this page below for full (long) article with pics.

http://www.djo.harvard.edu/site.php?...sicians/oa/779

Snippet:-

Objective
    In very dry eyes from any etiology, there is a need for near-continuous fluid supply to the ocular surface. Here is presented a patient with severe dry eyes who had a double-tubed valve shunt implanted to divert the aqueous humor to the lower lid fornix, thereby wetting the eye. Such arrangement has previously been used in eyes with keratoprosthesis and glaucoma.

Methods
    A 67 year old woman had been severely incapacitated with pain and photophobia for many years. Tear menisci were virtually absent, Schirmer values were repeatedly zero, and vision was reduced in one eye. Etiology seemed to be scarring of lacrimal gland ductules caused by vernal catarrh.

Results
    The shunt was implanted without complications, immediately resulting in wetting. After 6 months the eye is totally quiet and comfortable, with 20/25 vision and mild epiphora due to obstructed canaliculi. The tube in the lower fornix is rarely felt. Antibiotic drops are given twice daily and no infection has occurred.

Conclusion
    So far the patient has done well with a totally quiet and wet eye. The only complication has been epiphora. If the long-term risks are low, this principle may be of value in end-stage dry eyes such as in autoimmune diseases, chemical burns, and trachoma.

Update:-

I contacted the people who developed this, and they said:-

"Sorry about your dry eyes problem. I cannot be of much help. The technique you are referring to is at a standstill because the valve mechanism is not yet functioning well. Give me a few more years."

Ian.

Comment

Working...
    X