Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One Contact for Nearsightedness and One for Farsightedness a Problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Contact for Nearsightedness and One for Farsightedness a Problem?

I've been wearing, for about a year and a half now, gas perm contacts (RGP). They don't seem to have contributed to my dry eye condition. (At times, however, I wonder if wearing these contacts might actually help; not too sure.)

I'm at the age where I've started wearing drugstore readers over my contacts for up-close work. I'm wondering if anyone here wears one contact for nearsightedness and the other for farsightedness. If so, three questions, please:

How long did it take to adjust?

Overall, how do you like it, especially as compared to bifocal contacts?

Did it seem to make your dry-eye condition worse than wearing two of the same type of contacts?

Thanks.

Randal

That's called "monovision"---where one eye is corrected for far and the other for near. It's really a personal preference, some people like it, and others (me) don't do so well. I really need my 2 eyes working together (binocularity) at both near and far or I just don't see well.

You can simulate the effect by popping out one of the lenses of your reading glasses. If you can figure out which is your "dominant" eye, use that for distance (no lens) and the other for close (with the reading power). Get up, take a walk, watch TV, work at the computer, read----see what you think of the effect.

Can't answer the other questions.

Calli

Comment

Calli:

Great idea about removing one of the reading glass lenses!

I've been doing something similar but in reverse. My reading glass Rx basically offsets my contact lens Rx (except for some astigmatism correction), so I've been wearing a contact in just my dominant eye (right eye) for distance and no contact in my other eye for reading. I am mostly pleased with the results, but the non-corrected astigmatism in my non-dominant eye (left eye) is limiting the effectiveness of my experiment. I may have to try what you suggested or just go ahead and get a contact that is for up-close work.

So far I haven't detected much difference in my left eye's dryness and comfort from not wearing a contact (it's been a week now).

Thanks.

Randal

Originally posted by calli66 View Post
      That's called "monovision"---where one eye is corrected for far and the other for near. It's really a personal preference, some people like it, and others (me) don't do so well. I really need my 2 eyes working together (binocularity) at both near and far or I just don't see well.

You can simulate the effect by popping out one of the lenses of your reading glasses. If you can figure out which is your "dominant" eye, use that for distance (no lens) and the other for close (with the reading power). Get up, take a walk, watch TV, work at the computer, read----see what you think of the effect.

Can't answer the other questions.

Calli

Comment

Working...
      X