Question re humidity levels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question re humidity levels?

This past 7-10 days in Maine have been terrible...external humidity levels no higher then 20-30%. My eyes are killing me.

I borrowed a hygrometer from our product research & testing lab and the air in my office area recorded a high of 22% humidity on Thursday to a constant 10% humidity on Friday. I tried the hygrometer in several locations in my area and did not see a huge increase so it's not just my office that's affected.

I have used an entire box of Theratears in 4 days trying to stay on top of this.

Does anyone have any direct experience with what level of humidity a severe dry eye patient should aim for? When I went into the lab, my eyes just soaked up the moisture as they have to keep the lab at 65% humidity. Guess I need to try and find a job there!

The good news is that my "experiment" caused quite a buzz and 3 other people came forward about the problems they are having with dryness and their eyes.

Thanks for any feedack. I am going to insist on a humidifer for my office and next week, they are actually relocating a vent in the ceiling rather than just trying to redirect the airflow. But I think with the widespread low humidity levels, that will be a drop in the bucket.

Natalie

Hi.
    22% sucks big time. In UK regulations state office humidity should be 40-70% - below which eyes and skin begins to suffer. Modern air con systems automatically dry eye the air but should re-humidify it before it is circulated. Sometimes the humdifiers are turned off to save electricity.

I think the outside environment is the factor in your case. You may find personal measures are more effective than trying to change the atmosphere in your office (my 2c!)

Regards.

< I add that a portable humidifier would probably be ineffective in most average sized a/c offices. The adjustment needs to be made with the air conditioning unit.>
    Last edited by brd888; 28-Jan-2008, 07:30.
    Occupation - Optimistologist

Comment

Thanks brd888

Funny, last summer when I asked about getting a humidifer (and as told no) I was also told that the humidity levels in our offices were planned to be at 50%. But on Friday, a senior VP told me that they actually plan it for 14-20%to keep people "healthy" yet I have read elesewhere that no lower than 30 and up to 50% is the ideal, especially in winter. Clearly that's not happening but with 3 other people coming forward, they may have to do something.

Natalie

Comment

I googled "Office humidity levels" and looked at a few government recommendation type things. They're all over the map, but here are a few examples.

Illinois dept. of public health

There is no “ideal” humidity level and temperature suitable for all building occupants. Many factors, such as personal activity and clothing may affect personal comfort. Acceptable relative humidity levels should range from 20 percent – 60 percent year-round. Levels less than 20 percent in the winter and greater than 60 percent in the summer should be considered unacceptable. Elevated relative humidity can promote the growth of mold, bacteria, and dust mites, which can aggravate allergies and asthma. To achieve maximum occupant comfort, relative humidity should be maintained between 30 percent – 50 percent.

IDPH concurs with the ASHRAE guideline that indoor temperatures in the winter be maintained between 68 - 75 degrees, with a relative humidity level between 30 percent – 60 percent. Temperatures in the summer should be maintained between 73 - 79 degrees, with a relative humidity level between 30 percent – 60 percent. These ranges should be acceptable for sedentary or slightly active persons.
        Canadian Occupational Health & Safety

What humidity level and air velocity should an office be?

When relative humidity is kept at about 50%, office workers have fewer respiratory problems (specifically in the winter) and generally feel better. Higher humidity makes the office feel "stuffy". More important, it can contribute to the development of bacterial and fungal growth (especially in sealed buildings).

Humidity lower then 50% causes discomfort by drying out the mucous membranes, contributing to skin rashes. Dry conditions cause electrostatic charge on both office equipment and their users.

Air velocities below 0.25 metres/second (or about 50 feet/minute) does not create any significant distraction even in tasks requiring sustained attention.
        Rebecca Petris
        The Dry Eye Foundation
        dryeyefoundation.org
        800-484-0244

Comment

I have also heard that between 30%-50% is recommended for comfortable levels. The humidity in my building is usually in the teens in the winter. Multiple people were having trouble last year (sinus issues, eye issues, nose bleeds, etc.), and I added my complaint to the list that was forwarded to those in charge of the HVAC systems. Obviously nothing was done, because this year we have the same problems. Just last week I dug up the old email thread and strated to get the ball rolling again on making a formal complaint since I've been miserable for the past 2 months. I have a humidifer in my cubicle (that I brought in), but I know it does nothing because I have it on high all day long, and the humidity gauge on it still reads a constant 20 (I think that is the lowest it goes, because other people with hygrometers have seen it in the teens). I do try to keep the steam positioned close to my face, so I think it might help a little bit on its way up before it just disappears into the air. I'm glad to hear it sounds like you may make some progress in getting the situation in your office improved. I hope you feel better once you do!

-Shells

Comment

I wonder, if a bunch of you in the same office donned pink onion goggles, would somebody get the message
            Rebecca Petris
            The Dry Eye Foundation
            dryeyefoundation.org
            800-484-0244

Comment

An office humidity under 30% is completely unacceptable. I complained to our facilities after several days of 22% and was told a humidifier was broken. It returned to a steady 33% but I definitely get problems with that although I accept its okay for normal folk. Teens is like being in desert conditions. I can only suggest getting a garden sprayer and spraying mist over your carpets.
              Occupation - Optimistologist

Comment

Pink Onion Goggles and a garden hose it is!

I can see the look on people's faces now, especially when I wear my pink goggles to an important meeting in which our Chief Merchandising officer (somewhat of a fashionista) and Senior VP's are in attendance!

Seriously, if I have to involve employee health I will. 30% won't solve my problems but it could make make the differnce between intolerable and just plain old miserable. And it should help everyone else too.

Thank you everybody. It's been a long, painful stretch.

Natalie

Comment

Working...
                X