Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McGill University Study: Call for survey participants

Dear all,

Please see below. It's fascinating subject matter as you can see. I would really appreciate if as many of you as possible would participate. Please note the estimate of time needed to complete it. It did not take me quite that long, however, this is definitely not your typical five to ten minute survey; you really will want to make sure you have plenty of uninterrupted time to focus on it before starting it.

Thank you in advance for helping Dr. Wood on this very interesting project!

---

McGill University

Psychological factors in Dry Eye Syndrome

PARTICIPANTS NEEDED (up to 150)

We are looking for adults (18 to 70 years of age) to participate in an online study examining the psychological factors in Dry Eye Syndrome and how people with Dry Eye Syndrome cope in their everyday lives. The study involves completing a number of questionnaires.

To participate, you must have Dry Eye Syndrome, and be fluent in written English. The study lasts for approximately 45 to 60 minutes and participants will be compensated for their time with a $10 gift certificate from Amazon.com. To participate, please click the link below.

CLICK HERE FOR SURVEY

This study is conducted by Dr. Wendy Wood and Dr. Mark Baldwin of the Department of Psychology at McGill University in Montreal, Canada. This study has been approved by the ethics committee at McGill University.

To obtain more information, please contact Dr. Wendy Wood at wendy.wood@mail.mcgill.ca .
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

I thought it strange that there isn't one question about dry eye in that survey.

Comment

There actually are a number of questions about dry eye after you answer the first million questions that have nothing to do with dry eye.
      However, they are not looking to find a cure or treatment for dry eye - they are looking into their hypotheses of the psychological issues associated with people with dry eye. I think their hypotheses are rediculous and I think it's a big waste of time. It doesn't take a genius (or a survey with an astounding number of irrelevant questions) to simply recognize that people who are in discomfort and/or pain all the time are going to be unhappy. End of hypothesis.

P.S.- If someone has lots of time to kill and wants to know about Dry Eye sufferers, instead of wasting their time on that survey, they should read every post in in the Dry Eye Zone. This is the most awesome site.

Comment

Hi i have filled it out. The dry eye questions are after the psychological questions so keep with the questions.

Please anyone that has time fill this out, it will help people understand the impact of this condition.
        I healed my dry eye with nutrition and detoxification. I'm now a Nutritional Therapist at: www.nourishbalanceheal.com Join my dry eye facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/420821978111328/

Comment

Originally posted by NYer View Post
          There actually are a number of questions about dry eye after you answer the first million questions that have nothing to do with dry eye.
          However, they are not looking to find a cure or treatment for dry eye - they are looking into their hypotheses of the psychological issues associated with people with dry eye. I think their hypotheses are rediculous and I think it's a big waste of time. It doesn't take a genius (or a survey with an astounding number of irrelevant questions) to simply recognize that people who are in discomfort and/or pain all the time are going to be unhappy. End of hypothesis.

P.S.- If someone has lots of time to kill and wants to know about Dry Eye sufferers, instead of wasting their time on that survey, they should read every post in in the Dry Eye Zone. This is the most awesome site.
          True, but its good to have a study showing the impact because thats what the medical community will look at, and we all know how the medical community seem to think dry eye is a 'just a nuisance'. These studies are a step in the right direction in recognizing that its NOT.
          I healed my dry eye with nutrition and detoxification. I'm now a Nutritional Therapist at: www.nourishbalanceheal.com Join my dry eye facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/420821978111328/

Comment

Originally posted by sazy123 View Post
            Its good to have a study showing the impact because thats what the medical community will look at, and we all know how the medical community seem to think dry eye is a 'just a nuisance'. These studies are a step in the right direction in recognizing that its NOT.
            PRECISELY.

How often has anybody in the medical or academic world shown any serious interest in the psychological issues faced by dry eye patients? Please do not 'reward' their efforts by discouraging others from completing the survey.

What may be a no-brainer to us may well remain totally unrecognized in the medical community unless and until it is published in a peer-reviewed journal, and even then it takes a long time to seep into the collective ophthalmic community conscience.
            Rebecca Petris
            The Dry Eye Foundation
            dryeyefoundation.org
            800-484-0244

Comment

...By the way, I'm realizing in re-reading the description of the study that the title may be putting some people off.

As best I understand it from the lead investigator, the point of the study is to understand which psychological factors make some people better able to cope than other people. It's not, for example, suggesting that dry eye syndrome may be psychosomatic, which I know is a touchy issue for the many people in our community who have severe symptoms that have not been taken seriously by their doctors.
              Rebecca Petris
              The Dry Eye Foundation
              dryeyefoundation.org
              800-484-0244

Comment

I took the survey. I would be interested to know how they can separate out psychological issues related to dry eye vs. some other cause. For example, if someone tends to be a hermit, is that because of DES or is that a trait they have always had? Just curious. If you ever see the study published, please post a link!
                Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

Bumping this to the top as a reminder. Thanks to the many who have participated!
                  Rebecca Petris
                  The Dry Eye Foundation
                  dryeyefoundation.org
                  800-484-0244

Comment

McGill survey

I completed mine this morning...

Comment

Bump. Any more...?
                      Rebecca Petris
                      The Dry Eye Foundation
                      dryeyefoundation.org
                      800-484-0244

Comment

I participated about a month or so ago.

dryeyes2

Comment

Thanks for the link. I'll be interested to see the results. I filled it out today.

Lisa

Comment

Done...

Just did it. Ow. Maybe not ideal to have online survey for folks with DES? My eyes were already irritated today, my fault.
                            Anyway - like Kitty said, how can they distinguish between conditions? Like -- I have fibromyalgia, and I am SURE that has could have an impact on the answers. They probably should have had some sort of "other conditions" thing, but then with privacy stuff, not sure who would want to reveal...
                            Anyway....
                            Shoey

Comment

I agree, Shoebox.

I took it a few weeks ago. Yes, it *is* hard on the eyes! I had my DEZ blinker there to help me, though. :-)

Comment

Working...
                              X