question for all readers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question for all readers

I have heard about bee venom therapy for MS patients - which is loss of meylin sheath on nerves. Could this not work for regeneration of cornea nerves? I spoke to an Apitherapist, and she recommended starting with dabbing fresh local honey into lower eyelid. She also recommended an eye drop that contained bee venom - which I have ordered. From there, if no relief, next step would be to try bee stings. This maybe a dead end, but I thought I'd put it out there.

is it nerve regeneration that is operative?

This is a fascinating line of inquiry. . .though I would be concerned about putting nonsterile organic matter like honey directly into already compromised eyes. . .

I wonder, in this connection, whether the apitherapy that helps many MS patients operates by regenerating nerves or, rather, by reducing the chronic inflammatory process that damages the myelin sheath, in MS. . .I ask because if the objective is to regenerate corneal nerves (and I'm not sure how many diagnoses would be helped by that), then perhaps bee venom would not do the trick. . .though it might conceivably reduce inflammation locally and/or systemically. . .

Also wanted to say that the highly dilute preparation of Apis Mellifica (bee venom) used in homeopathy might or might not come in sterile form for topical ophthalmic use. . .That said, beware of oversimplification with homeopathy. . .Apis Mellifica cannot be presumed to be the "specific" for any particular eye or other condition that crude/nondilute bee venom would be used for. . .Homeopathic applications all require very technical workups before remedies can be chosen. . .
    <Doggedly Determined>

Comment

Chickenlittle: I've been on dry eye boards/lasik boards for 8 years and I've seen a lot of stuff come and go. Mostly go. I wouldn't try this in a million years. I know you're desperate and really need to give the regular every day stuff a chance to work for you. There is no magic potion. Otherwise, I wouldn't be here, nor would Rebecca or many others.

Remember these are your EYES you are dealing with. Regrettably, I should have remembered this before I had lasik. If you had a rash on your arm or leg and want to mess with what you are speaking of, it probably wouldn't hurt much. But, risking your eyes, and furthermore asking us (a bunch of dry eyed folks) if it's good or bad isn't a good idea. FWIW--not for me. Be careful.
      Lucy
      Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

One of my favorite posts of all time, from one of my favorite members of all time, Gaye:

Originally posted by Gaye
        I'd try Iguana spit, snake venom, llama saliva, elephant snot, turtle pee, fish emulsion, ground up chicken lips, or crocodile tears if someone told me it helped!

Oh, and maybe monkee sweat! Or slug slime! Or even poison dart frog excretions!

Needless to say, Gaye did not in fact try any of these things, and last I heard she's really doing quite well.

I agree with the others as to putting nonsterile stuff in the eyes and using things based on hearsay alone. But I know we can probably all relate to the sense of desperation that makes us go after every option no matter how unlikely.
        Rebecca Petris
        The Dry Eye Foundation
        dryeyefoundation.org
        800-484-0244

Comment

Too true about desperation!!! So with lasik patients, is it inflamtion of the nerve or the lack of regrowth of nerve that causes the severe dry eye?

Comment

I think nobody really knows for sure, CL. Many possible mechanisms have been explored in the medical literature from the obvious nerve regrowth issue to damage from the suction ring to meibomian gland interference from unknown reasons.
            Rebecca Petris
            The Dry Eye Foundation
            dryeyefoundation.org
            800-484-0244

Comment

It might be the color of socks you wear, too.
              Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Working...
              X