Golden eye ointment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Golden eye ointment

Hi Folks - Today i suffered a set back due to the use of this ointment last night
    As many of you know i have been doing so well - I have blapharitis ,MGD with evaporative DE
    I had got it well under control with the use of regular eyelid hygiene
    my only problem was at night - eyelids sticking to eyeballs
    I even found my solution to that by using chloramphenicol(an antibiotic) eye ointment at bedtime - This worked really well for me for a month - Then I saw Dr Latkany's recent reply to someone on the question of using antibiotic eye ointment indefinately - In this case bactricin ,He advised against longterm use ,so i decided to stop the chloramphenicol ointment
    My quest then has begun for a night time lubricant for eyelid margins and eye lids (not eyes)although of course by morning the ointment migrates onto the eye
    I am allergic to nearly everything i put into or near my eyes
    I cant tolerate lacrilube, or viscotears -- I have tried plain vasaline and it seemed to make them worse ;olive oil lubricated a bit ,and did not irritate ,but was not really effective
    Anyone any ideas ?? I am from GB so choices are limited
    The chloramphenicol is in a base of liquid parafin and white petroleum
    so obviously i can tolerate those ingredients
    [B]to come back to the golden eye ointment[/
    It is an OTC antiseptic -(I quote) Dibromopropamide Isetionate 0.15% It also contains liqiud parafin and plastibase 30w (dispersed polyethylene in mineral oil) -- anyway it felt OK last night when i first applied a v little smear but by morning my eyes were prickling and itching and sore - like i used to be
    Tonight i shall use nothing and see
    Should i recommence on the chloramphenicol after they settle down ? -very tempting - I had such a good month
    or has anyone any suggestions ?
    Many thanks

Stella: I haven't tried this, and I don't have blepharitis or MGD, so I couldn't give a testimonial as to its effectiveness if I did, but the thread on honey makes it look like it might be something to consider: http://dryeyezone.com/talk/showthread.php?t=4996.

Terri

Comment

Thanks Terri - interesting I may pluck up the courage to tetatively try it It would need to be a good quality honey - like manuka At least we can eat it if it does,nt work ,which is more than can be said of all the ointments and unused eyedrops in the house

Comment

Working...
      X