Eyelid Skin Cancers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eyelid Skin Cancers

I've had an "irritation" under my right eye for bout 3-4 weeks, really can't remember exactly when it started. I finally broke down and visited my local eye doctor. His opinion was that it looked like a skin cancer. So he sent me to an opthalmic plastic surgeon. She looked at it today and agrees. She can't take a biopsy, there isn't enough tissue in this area. If it was positive, there wouldn't be enough to allow the surgery she would need to get rid of it.

So I'm scheduled for eye surgery on the 27th of this month. She'll take a pie shaped wedge out of my lower eyelid. 3 stitches inside and 3 outside. This is right in the line of my cornea. She says it will give me a nice smooth lash line and if we are lucky, no gap in my eyelid.

Antibiotic drops and an opthalmic ointment to keep it all moist. The part I'm dreading is the cleaning of it. Q-Tip and baby shampoo.

I've gone to the trouble of posting this, because I thought mine was just an irritation. Be on the alert. If the irritation doesn't heal in 3-4 weeks, it may be more than an irritation. Best to see your local eye doctor.

Billye

Billye,

I am so sorry to hear about this. I'd give you you a hug if I could. I never even imagined cancer on the eyelid before.

I have confidence in your prognosis with regard to the cancer, but am concerned with the already compromised condition of your eyes. I know you are too, and will manage the best you know how.

Best of luck with your surgery, and thanks for the advice regarding cancer. I will never ignore a wound that won't heal.

Diana
    Last edited by dianat; 07-Feb-2008, 19:54. Reason: misspelling
    Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

((((Billye))))

I am so sorry to hear this. We'll be thinking of you on the 27th!! Thank you so much for sharing about it so that others can be vigilant. It's a good reminder to all of us... sometimes we can just get so used to chronic eye problems that we don't get things checked out as promptly as we should.
      Rebecca Petris
      The Dry Eye Foundation
      dryeyefoundation.org
      800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
      X