Dry Eye/Twitching Post LASIK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry Eye/Twitching Post LASIK

I am almost 2 years post-LASIK. I have LASIK-induced dry eye and have to use Systane Preservative-Free drops several times everyday. (I go through a box every 3 days at $12/each.) Today, for the first time, the nurse recommended Lacri-Lube at night.

My newest symptom is an annoying twitch in my right eye that started last week. It will not go away except for a few seconds after I put in my drops. So, I'm curious if anyone has experience that?

Despite all of the things I am dealing with post-LASIK, I don't regret it.....yet. My eyes did not feel better with rigid gas permeable lenses. They still left me with sore, tired and red eyes everyday. I could only wear them an hour a day toward the end. And, glasses were uncomfortable and never gave me crisp vision. But, man, how I wish I did have one of those perfect experiences we hear about.

I never had Lasik but I do have dry eye syndrome. And I have had intermitent eyelid twitching. About two months ago, I had it for three days straight. But most of the time, I get it on and off from time to time. I asked the eye doctor about it and he said it's a fairly common symptom with dry eye.

Comment

I have had dry eye for about two years, the worst being the past 4 to 5 months. I have noticed a twitch in my right eye when my dry eye is at it's worst. There is a thread in Dr. Latkany's forum about eye twitch. I recall the only thing he said was that it was indeed common.

Comment

Thank you both so much. I have googled like crazy and didn't find much about dry eye causing a twitch.

Comment

Deanne, when I had the twitching that lasted for 3 days, I got scared and I googled and couldn't find anything on twitching. I went to an eye doctor who told me not to worry, "it's nothing", but he also said that it had nothing to do with my dry eye. The twitching stopped that evening but I was still trying to google and find something when I finally did. Sure enough, I found a few sites that specifically said that it's a common symptom when you have dry eyes.
          Subsequently, I wrote to Dr. Latkany who confirmed that it is, indeed, common with dry eye (I think that was the thread that MFlores22 was referring to, actually). And then I went to see Dr. Latkany and he explained that any sort of irritation or inflamation can cause that kind of reaction in a muscle, the same way you might get a spasm/twitch in your finger or arm or anywhere else. And if you calm down the inflamation, the twitch should go away.
          You may have a little more luck googling with the word Blepharospasm or eyelid spasm. But keep in mind that "blepharospasm" can also get into more serious conditions that people get where the eyelid virtually locks shut and can't open without an injection of Botox. Don't worry, the twitches that you have, although they are blepharo (eyelid) spasms, they are not the extreme version.
          So, if you do things to help reduce the inflammation and dryness in your eyes, it should reduce the twitching.

Here's some info I found at http://eyecare.ygoy.com/does-your-ey...tch-unusually/

Blepharospasm or eye twitch commonly begins with unusual or extreme blinking that is associated with regular eye irritation. Initially, the extreme blinking may only take place because of exposure to dazzling lights or when one is tired or is under excessive stress. The regularity of the spasms may intensify all through the day. Occasionally the spasms may diminish during sleep and not even take after a proper night’s sleep until one has been awake for a considerable length of time. As the condition deteriorates, the spasms are likely to intensify and may lead to the eyelids being firmly shut for some hours and occasionally making it difficult for the person to see. Eye Twitching for the majority of the people is merely irritating and the involuntary muscles spasm adjacent to the eye disappears over time.

Blepharospasm or eye twitching is thought to be triggered by an unusual working of specific nerve areas situated at the base of the brain which regulate the coordination of muscle movements. In most individuals it emerges without any actual known reason. Commonly, the signs and indications of dry eye arise immediately prior to or along with the manifestation of eye twitching. Several researches show that dry eye initiates blepharospasm in those people who may develop it. Generally eye twitching may be hereditary or can be due to side effects of particular medications.

Other frequent reasons of blepharospasm include stress, inflammation of the cornea or conjunctiva, exhaustion, sleep deficiency and disorders pertaining to the nervous system

I hope this helped!

Comment

I get that too ,in my right eye but try to ignore it - I did not connect it to DE - thats interesting

Comment

Just got back from my appt. with my LASIK surgeon. Said it is benign twitching and that my eyes look really good and don't even look dry.

?!?!?!?!?

Comment

My eyes look good too, Deanne. They don't feel good unfortunately. this is not an uncommon thing for post-refractive surgery, dry eye patients to hear from their doctors.

I used to think any eye twitching I experienced was because my eye condition was literally getting on my nerves. Twitching would take place usually when my psyche was at my worst.

D
                Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

Working...
                X