Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restasis & Dermatitis

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone has had problems with dermatitis under their eyes while using Restasis? It is a bit sore and itchy and peeling. (I think that is what it is, my doc saw it and said use either 1% cortisone cream or vaseline on it and don't put heat on it) I have some under one eye and a bit under the other. This started before I started the DHEA drops and the only other drops I have used are Restasis and Theratears drops and/or Genteal gel.

Any ideas? Thanks!
    dryeyes2

It is not unusual for people to be allergic to the castor oil used as the vehicle in Restasis. I posted some links in this thread discussing this:
    http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showthread.php?t=3669

Scout

Comment

http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showthread.php?t=2413
      This is another thread that you may be interested in. A 10-year study of eyelid dermatitis.
      Allergens commonly causing allergic eyelid dermatitis consisted of fragrances, metals, neomycin, oleamidopropyl dimethylamine, tosylamide formaldehyde resin, benzalkonium chloride, and other preservatives.
      When my ocular allergies are particularly bothersome (like right now), I get eyelid dermatitis. It is really a pain to deal with.

A few years ago I used Zaditor, a prescription (now over the counter) allergy eye drop. It worked, but since it contains a preservative, benzalkonium chloride (BAK) that can cause allergic reactions, I stopped using it.

Now, when my eyelid dermatitis get really bad, I use the cortisone ointment that your MD recommended. My dermatologist okayed it for very limited use and cautioned me to use it rarely and sparingly. Long-term use can harm the skin.

Scout

Comment

Thanks

Scout,

Thanks for the information. When I saw my doc he said he thought it looked like the start of an allergy, but didn't say to what. It is my gut feeling that it is Restasis. I can't say it has helped all that much. I have been on it for 10 months now and there was minor help, but I am not sure enough to warrant staying on it. I am going to ask my doc about going off it.

The DHEA drops have been head and shoulders above what Restasis has done for me and in a very short period of time. Honestly, I feel like the DHEA has gotten to the biggest source of my dry eyes. I don't know if they will continue to improve in helping or level out. All I can say is I am so very grateful to have this amount of improvement.

Thanks again.
        dryeyes2

Comment

I think i have eyelid dermatitis too
          I dare not put anything on my lids - not even vasaline
          They constantly prickle and itch especially after heat treatment - though that helps 'cos afterwards i massage and jostle and pinch them and that gives relief
          The lid margins are the worst and they are nearest he eyes
          I also have dry skin down the sides of my nose and behind my ears and i constantly struggle to keep dandruff at bay
          I am at a loss to know how to lubricate the lids --

Comment

For dandruff, I highly recommend Neutrogena T-Gel Shampoo. It has coal tar in it and it works great. You do need to use a conditioner afterward, though. DO NOT get it in your eyes.
            I don't know what the availability is in the U.K., though, but I do know they carry it on www.drugstore.com .
            The U.S. stopped allowing shampoos with over a certain percentage of coal tar for quite some time. Then they started allowing a lower percentage. I don't know if that's the same issue in the U.K.

Comment

Tried that - Nyer - thanks for the thought
              I use E 45 shampoo followed by body -shop honey shampoo (2nd wash )then body- shop honey conditioner The later two dont contain sodium laureath which i understand is a DETERGENT in all shampoos and soaps -- The things we put on us and in us are scary !
              At the moment i cant wear my wedding/engagement/eternity rings due to allergy to metals - That will die down with steroid cream I amwaring them round my neck which is different - What a pain the whole thing is !!!

Comment

Working...
              X