second opinion today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• second opinion today

Today I went to see a Kaiser Opthamologist (covered under my insurance). I wanted to find someone to work with me in case I needed perscriptions. It was nice to have someone other than my lasik doc to talk to. He said my eyes were really dry -- and did think that puntal plugs would be good to try -- he also said my oil glands were blocked -- the last time I mentioned that my lasik doctor he said he didn't see any of that. Hmmmm

My shimmers was super low -- but they did use anethesia -- before surgery I wetted down the entire strip and had tears running down my cheeks -- without anthesthia.

So he suggested warm compresses -- I ordered a bunch of stuff off the site today -- including the rice baggy.

My eyes feel totally crappy today -- probably because of the drops at the eye doc's.

I see my surgeon tomorrow -- we'll see if he concurrs. I'm also dealing with overrection issues. Which is so upsetting -- I know dry eye can happen to anyone, but I was really thinking that by going to the medical university laser vision correction center in my city, I'd have the best results possible.

Thanks for any post-lasik pep talking that anyone can provide...........sad and worried sick still.

Good idea about the second opinion.

Originally posted by lboogie View Post
    He said my eyes were really dry -- and did think that puntal plugs would be good to try -- he also said my oil glands were blocked -- the last time I mentioned that my lasik doctor he said he didn't see any of that. Hmmmm
    Not too surprising... as you'll see from many people here, we get opinions all over the map when it comes to the state of our MGs. Bottom line, OPHTHALMOLOGISTS ARE NOT PROPERLY TRAINED in MGs. Hence the confusion.

My shimmers was super low -- but they did use anethesia -- before surgery I wetted down the entire strip and had tears running down my cheeks -- without anthesthia.
    Apples and oranges. It's a shame they didn't do anesthetized Schirmer before surgery (I feel a mildly cynical commentary welling up in me which I am endeavoring not to indulge).

Hang in there, hang in there, hang in there. Go pamper yourself and do anything you can to help you relax and get your mind off it for a bit. It's VERY early days yet. With LASIK and dry eye, I feel kind of the same way I do about PRK and vision. Some people are fine from the get-go, others take weeks, months, a year or even considerably longer to get to their 'final' result.

How much overcorrected are you?
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

I am +.66 in each each eye. But that is with dialation. Without dialation I am plano in both eyes. Vision is essentialy good -- but I have random headaches and eye strain that come and go.

Do you really think that I would have shown a much lower schimers with anestheia during my pre-op? Oh no -- another thing to worry about and regrett. I really did well with contacts -- expect for really long days of wear, showering with them in etc.

Thanks for the pep talk. It's so hard to keep positive.

Comment

I had a tremendous amount of eye strain and headaches due to to the stress of dealing with my post-LASIK results. It's much better today...no headaches and only mild eye strain. I barely notice the strain anymore.
        Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

Do you really think that I would have shown a much lower schimers with anestheia during my pre-op? Oh no -- another thing to worry about and regrett.
          Oh, no, no no... that's not what I meant and I definitely don't want to give you any additional regret!! I was just wishing that in general, testing were more standardized and that pre lasik testing was more rigorous.

The hardest part of going through a healing period of unknown length is when nothing prepared you beforehand for this possibility. Patients go into this believing that healing is a matter of days or weeks. It takes some time to adopt a new perspective on the length and nature of the healing process.
          Rebecca Petris
          The Dry Eye Foundation
          dryeyefoundation.org
          800-484-0244

Comment

I saw my lasik doctor today -- and was prepped by a resident (it is a university facility). They said the same things about things taking time --and perhaps I did have some dry eye, despite testing okay. This doctor said not yet on plugs, but the wanted to give restasis a try. So, I guess we'll see.

I wish I had realized the importance of this side effect. My mom even has dry eyes -- after lasik no less. But she never really made the connection I don't think -- she's just been so pleased with her non-coke bottle glasses, she was supportive of my decision. I guess I figured they would do all the tests and warm me of any dry eye tendencies.

I wore contacts just fine -- only bothersome when I'd worn them for really long days.

Thanks for all your feedback. Oh-- and he the doctor is also having me follow up with their optemetrist to disucss some convergence disorders for my headaches.

Thanks to all...........

Comment

Oh-- and the doctor is also having me follow up with their optometrist to discuss some convergence disorders for my headaches.
              Oh good! I was a little worried about the headache thing. A mild convergence disorder can easily be punted over the edge into "noticeable problem" by a refractive surgery so I'm glad this is getting addressed too.
              Rebecca Petris
              The Dry Eye Foundation
              dryeyefoundation.org
              800-484-0244

Comment

thanks to those who have been posting with me. I just returned from my appt. with the woman who did my pre-op appt. We focused mostly on my headaches -- turns that yes, I do indeed have some pretty major convergence insufficiency. It's been getting better, but obviously not great yet. Options are prisms and vision therapy -- but she feels that I will still overcome it yet.

Word on the dry is that that I am just majorly dry -- shrimers w/o anethesia was like zero. I forgot to ask about plugs, but I see her next week for another dilated exam. Uggh............

Comment

lboogie,
                  My main problem is aqueous deficiency as well. My last schirmer's were 7mm and 3mm in left and right eye respectively. I have "hub-cap plugs" in lower ducts and intra-canicular plugs in upper ducts. I think my lower plugs may be rubbing against my conjunctiva and causing extra irritation. I am thinking of asking for lower tear duct cautery at my next visit. Was your doctor surprised by your schirmer scores? Did you have a schirmer's before LASIK?
                  dnew

Comment

she did not seem super surprised -- but just matter of fact -- yes your eyes are very dry.....but they will get better. I sure hope so.

I did have a shrimer's pre-op -- I overflowed the paper strips -- my records show 35mm.

Comment

Working...
                    X