Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry eye after LASIK

Hello Dr. Bazan,
    Thank you very much for your time here! I apologize for the lengthy post, but want to provide you some history. I am now 18 months post LASIK. I wore contacts for 20 years before the surgery. My vision is great 20/15 in both eyes since LASIK. I had the usual dry eye after LASIK for several months, used Systane 10X daily then started Restasis 5 months post LASIK. TBUT were around 7 seconds before Restasis in both eyes. About 5 months after starting Restasis, I developed eye pain, mostly under the upper eye lids. Not the usual dryness I was feeling before but now real pain, especially late afternoon and evening. Back to my doctor and then started Doxy 100mg, 2x day for 4 months, fish oils, warm compresses, scrubs. I'm now getting TBUT in the 12-15 second range. I am now on doxy 100mg 1x/day and continue to take oils, Restasis, Systane 4-6x/ day. The pain is better. Some days I have "Normal eyes" where I feel like I did before LASIK. Then I'll have a day or so where I have pains behind the upper lids. My doctor says That there is no evidence of MGD or Bleph, nor has there ever been evidence, but the Doxy seems to help a lot. I was on a Beta Blocker for elevated blood pressure before LASIK and post LASIK. After doing much research, I just went off it and started new medication (Calcium Channel Blocker) 2 days ago. Beta Blockers (Inderal) has a side effect of dry/sore eyes. I'm hoping this will make a difference. Too soon to tell as of now, although I did have a good mostly pain-free eye day today. Wow... sorry for the long post.

My questions are, why do you think the eye pain started 10 months after LASIK (6 months after Restasis).

Is this type of eye pain a result of typical dry eyes?

Can the Restasis cause this numbing pain as a side effect?

I actually can get evening headaches from this pain, but rarely. The pain truly feels like eye strain! My TBUT is about 12-15 seconds and the other tests for tear generation appear normal as they did pre-LASIK. I am on the computer daily for 6-8 hours, but I do take breaks. When I apply warm compresses to my lids, I can instantly feel the tears flowing from my lids. Mornings are usually good, some dryness after the shower then wet again until pain starts around 4-6 pm most days. I just started GenTeal eye gel. That seems to work well although my vision is blurry for 5 minutes after using it.

Can stress cause the symptoms also?

When I'm stressed, my eyes hurt even more. I try not to stress much! ;-) My LASIK surgeon and my optometrist seem to feel that the dry eye is minor from the test results, but I feel these pains almost daily. I hardly ever have what I would consider dry eyes where they actually feel dry. I just get this dull numbing pain mostly under the upper lids. I may try plugs at the recommendation of my optometrist. I welcome any advice or suggestions. I understand it's difficult not seeing me as a patient. Thanks!

Originally posted by BillyBoy View Post
    1. My vision is great 20/15 in both eyes since LASIK.
    2. I developed eye pain, mostly under the upper eye lids. Not the usual dryness I was feeling before but now real pain, especially late afternoon and evening.
    3. The eye pain started 10 months after LASIK (6 months after Restasis)
    4. I actually can get evening headaches from this pain, but rarely. The pain truly feels like eye strain!
    The above three points make me think, 1. What about your near vision?, 2. Are the lids themselves painfully sore upon touching them? When they are sore, are they also inflamed or swollen?, 3. Anything can happen at anytime.

4. I would explore the possibility of your eye pain being caused by a less than optimal focusing system. I've deduced you are at least in your mid thirties. Combine that with heavy computer use, and you have got me thinking that your main issue might not really be dry eye. Find an eye doctor who knows what near point testing is and get an exam. Make sure they focus on your focusing systems ability to sustain clear and comfortable focus at near, especially after prolonged computer use.

I frequently see your symptoms in my pre-presbyopic patients, typically mid to late thirties. The good news is that there is relief. The bad news, that no post-op Lasik patient wants to hear, is that it is commonly in the form of computer/reading glasses.

Many of those same patients share something in common. When they get a day where they are not on the computer or reading, their eyes feel much less of the pain(strain). Do your eyes tend to feel less of that pain on your days off?

Thank you for bringing me your issues. I know it’s not easy. You are doing so many things right, it’s hard for me to believe that things won't get better. Please really consider having a proper and thorough exam of your focusing and eye teaming systems. Most eye doctors are capable of doing these tests, but IMHO, seek out somebody who does Vision Therapy or provides testing for computer vision syndrome. If you need help locating such a doctor, let me know, I can help.

Comment

Reading Glasses

Dr. Bazan,

Thank you very much for the quick response. I am 45 and started using reading glasses 6-7 months after LASIK. I just use 3-4 pairs that I picked up at CVS. I was warned that my near vision would suffer. That doesnt bother me. My lids are not sore or swollen at all. If I press on my lids and press on the eye ball gently I feel a relief! The pain is at the eye sockets very upper and to the upper outsides. I would give anything to resolve this problem and if it's just a matter of getting the right prescription reading glasses, I'd be thrilled. My right eye is much worse than my left as far as near vision. Would it make sense to have two different prescriptions left and right for reading glasses? Maybe I'm off balance?? I wear these cheap $12 reading glasses for 5-6 hours a day while working at the computer. Can eye strain also cause dryness?

Again, thank you. You are a great asset to this site!

Comment

One more thing..

You got me thinking... when these pains first started last July after leaving my office and on the computer for a few hours... I would drive my car and felt like I could not focus my eyes for many minutes! It was very uncomfortable. Some mornings I would wake up and a couple hours later my eyes felt like they were pushing out of the sockets for an hour at a time or so. I totally blamed this on the potential dryness.

Comment

You got me thinking... when these pains first started last July after leaving my office and on the computer for a few hours... I would drive my car and felt like I could not focus my eyes for many minutes! It was very uncomfortable. Some mornings I would wake up and a couple hours later my eyes felt like they were pushing out of the sockets for an hour at a time or so. I totally blamed this on the potential dryness.
          I don't think you need me to tell you what to do at this point! I'm glad I helped you uncover all of these focusing issues! Please let me know how your exam goes.

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

Thank you!
              You're very welcome.....and judging from the timing of your posts, you are a real suspect for computer visions syndrome. After only about an 8 hour break, you are right back on the computer! (me too!)

http://justinbazan.wordpress.com/200...yndrome-cvs-2/
              http://www.allaboutvision.com/cvs/irritated.htm

Definitely find an eye doc who deals with CVS. Ask a head of time. Finding the right doctor will make a big difference.

Comment

Dr. Bazan,

I had my appt today and my optometrist prescribed me single vision coated computer glasses. They should give me nice clear vision at 18"-24". I will practice breaks and try to limit my time to 3-4 hours per day ;-) It will be difficult as I am a realtor. I have an outstanding optometrist and she ran me through CVS and near point focus testing. A side note, My TBUT was 18 today. I'll take that any day. I still have a little pain in the eyes but not bad. Do you have any experience with beta blockers causing dry eyes? I have finally stopped my beta blocker 4 days ago and have seen nice relief since then. Oh well.. Thanks for your advice and I'll keep tuning in for your wisdom.

Comment

I really am happy that you got those computer glasses. You have probably helped out a few others here by making people aware of how the pains from dry eye and computer eyestrain can share similarities.

1. I had my appt today and my optometrist prescribed me single vision coated computer glasses. 2. They should give me nice clear vision at 18"-24". 3. I will practice breaks and try to limit my time to 3-4 hours per day ;-)
                  1. Wow, that was fast!
                  2. Great!
                  3. Perfect!

I have an outstanding optometrist and she ran me through CVS and near point focus testing.
                  Indeed you do!

A side note, My TBUT was 18 today. I'll take that any day. I still have a little pain in the eyes but not bad. Do you have any experience with beta blockers causing dry eyes? I have finally stopped my beta blocker 4 days ago and have seen nice relief since then. Oh well..
                  Impressive TBUT! You will need it for all of your computer work. You will have your ups and downs, but I am confident better days lie ahead for you. Work your routine, keep up the good habits.

BBs are on the laundry list of dry eye causative agents. I do not know the exact mechanism of action but they are known to decrease tear production. I assume your are talking about a systemic beta blocker...and I assuming you were told by your doctor to discontinue that med, right?!?!

Thanks for your advice and I'll keep tuning in for your wisdom.
                  You're welcome. Please do.

Comment

Dr. Bazan,

I'm just checking in with you now several weeks after you mentioned I may have CVS. I'm using my new coated computer glasses daily. I'm still on the computer 4-5 hours a day, but taking breaks. My dry eye appears to be slowly getting better. I had to go back on the BB a few days ago (Inderal)so I'm hoping it does not get worse. I'm still taking the doxy 100mg/ daily for the diagnosis of MGD. Is it "normal" to take the doxy for over 6 months? Can it take this long to clear up the Bleph. or MGD with doxy? I'm still doing the scrubs and warm compresses. I'd say there has been very slow progress albeit it is progress month to month. For instance my eyes appear better than they were 2 months ago. Can day to day stress, lack of sleep (4-5 hours/night) cause or contribute to dry eyes. I notice that when I travel even for a couple days (relaxation, rest) my eyes are hardly dry or sore! Of course my computer time is cut way down also. I have three cats. Can one become allergic all the sudden? Lots to think about. Geeez. I need to figure out why they are so much better when I'm away from home/office/ cats, etc!! Thank you again for your time and advice.

Comment

Thank you for the update!

Is it "normal" to take the doxy for over 6 months? Can it take this long to clear up the Bleph. or MGD with doxy?
                      I'm hearing some very good things! Your a great patient, and your hard work is paying off. It is a slow process. We are trying to make systemic changes, and those take time. Remember that the goal of the treatment is to get the bleph under control, but it will always be present....hopefully at a sub-symptomatic level. With that said, lapses in your routine can cause flareups. You are well within a normal time frame for the doxy treatment. I am glad to hear that you are tolerating it well, keep it up. Discuss with your doctor, how long your treatment is going to be. This is good info to be aware of.

Can day to day stress, lack of sleep (4-5 hours/night) cause or contribute to dry eyes.
                      You bet! For the normal eye, good sleep, 8 hours of sleep, gives our eyes a chance to revitalize.

I notice that when I travel even for a couple days (relaxation, rest) my eyes are hardly dry or sore! Of course my computer time is cut way down also. I have three cats. Can one become allergic all the sudden? Lots to think about. Geeez. I need to figure out why they are so much better when I'm away from home/office/ cats, etc!! Thank you again for your time and advice.
                      Keeping your computer time down to a minimum will surely help. Also, look into this: http://workrave.org/. It forces you to take rest breaks. I have been personally using it for a few days and find it beneficial.

You have a great mindset...I wish more of my patients harbored similar thoughts of being an allergen detective. An allergist would be your best bet to find out what your allergic to. Keep us posted, many of us here would like to hear about the role of allergies in your dry eyes.

Comment

Thanks Dr. Bazan for your words of encouragement!

Comment

One more question. What are your thoughts on punctal plugs? I can already feel my eyes getting dryer since being on the beta blockers again. Do you feel the plugs may be worth a try? I was thinking of trying the smart plugs.

Comment

One more question. What are your thoughts on punctal plugs? I can already feel my eyes getting dryer since being on the beta blockers again. Do you feel the plugs may be worth a try? I was thinking of trying the smart plugs.
                            If there are no signs of infection or inflammation, plugs are an option you should look into. If you have good quality tears and you just want to increase the on-eye quantity, plugs can help accomplish that. Ask your doctor about temporary punctal occlusion. Keep us posted.

Comment

OK Dr. Bazan. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                              X