Swelling under eye - please help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swelling under eye - please help!

Will this get any worse? Badly inflamed inner corner of left eye, with swelling under eye, cheek and pain all down side of eye, back of eye, even in my teeth. Have had this feeling before but never so the swelling has actually pushed out the skin. will this just go? Any dry eye expert, please please reply if you are around.

Zarla... please call a doctor and be seen as soon as possible.

There's no doctors posting in the open forum (this is a patients only section) and you can post in the Pro section if you want but I think they are simply going to say what I'm saying.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Hi Rebecca - it's 10.20 pm here in the Uk so I'll have to wait til the morning, Thanks for your quick reply. Have persisted too long with forcing my left eye to accept the zero 6 and now Oasys. Frustrating as my right eye is fine and probably not even dry. Am going to get a referral back to Moorfields. 3 week waiting lists to see doctors here in London unless you're literally dying. That's the great NHS for you.

Comment

Yikes!

Sorry to hear you're having these troubles, Zarla. My left eye is the worse one too. I had some bad swelling/inflammation back in November, but nothing like what you're describing. The fact that it's affecting your cheek and jaw as well worries me; it sounds like it could be an infection. I hope you can see a doctor as soon as possible. And definitely take those lenses out, if you haven't already!

Comment

Is there any discharge?

If so, if it were me I'd go to A&E in case it's infected.

I just mentioned this post to my sister and she said what you described reminded her of how she felt when she recently had an experience of trigeminal neuralgia.
          Rebecca Petris
          The Dry Eye Foundation
          dryeyefoundation.org
          800-484-0244

Comment

Zarla,

Reading your post made me think of a chalazion, which is a bump on the eyelid. But chalazion's are apparently not painful. A bacterial infection is usually painful, though. I hope you can get to an emergency doctor soon.

Calli
            Last edited by calli66; 28-Feb-2008, 17:45. Reason: 1st post had inaccurate information

Comment

Thanks for your support last night everyone! Update: I took a day off work and miraculously did get to the doctor who said it was an infection of the red bits in the corners of the eyes spreading down a nerve to the nose and mouth and I should up the doxy to 200 mg a day again for a week. Also prescribed a topical antibiotic similar to Restasis starting with a cy...it has been mentioned on this site. The swelling has started to go down but pain is still quite bad. He prescribed some codeine based painkillers - Kapake - for just five days. These help for about 4 hours. Wearing glasses...awful vision. My left eye is 'lazy' and can't look at anyone straight on without contacts correcting it! I hope it improves for Monday.

Comment

Zarla - f.y.i. in case you're not aware of this, you can self-refer to casualty at Moorfields, or the Western Eye Hospital in Marylebone Road when you're in pain. I've done so on several occasions when I've been desperate, and they will always see you. They're both open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, though the best time to go, in my experience, is about 8am before they get crowded.

Hope you're getting better anyway, will look forward to reading about your progress.

Comment

hi Eva = I thought you had to get a drs referral for Moorfields - you did in the dark ages of the 1990s. this is very useful to know = thank you!

Comment

Zarla,
                    yes, officially if your complaint is not an emergency then you need a referral from your GP, but if you have pain or a reasonably serious concern they cannot (by law) refuse to see you and offer you emergency treatment. One of the doctors there told me that!hope you're feeling better today...
                    Eva

Comment

Working...
                    X