Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• worrying all day.........

Hi there,
    I'm looking for some help with dealing with all my lasik concerns. I am totally consumed by this fear and worry about my outcome and my future. I'm not getting anything done at work and I just worry and look on the internet.

2 major things for me -- persistent headaches and dry eyes..............I can see just fine. I guess I need some help on how to let go and focus on other things in life. B/C right now it feels impossible. I see the doctor again on Monday -- so hopefully I'll gain some more insight/ reassurance. But I'm just obessesed with googling all sorts of topics and going back through stats and stories. Any help would be appreciated.

I feel like this site is the best for support and quality advise.

lboogie, it is not unusual for patients to feel this way after a lasik job with less than optimal results. One good thing is you say your vision is fine. This is very important and makes your situation look good for a happy ending. The dry eyes are the pitts, I sympathize with you and so do the rest of the gang here.

You may want to stay away from boards such as DEZ and the internet while you're so obsessed. The more you worry, the more you fear and the more "stuff" you read on the internet. Most of it bad. Try to stay away from DEZ as much as you can. Maybe limit yourself to 15 minutes at night and this will also give your eyes a rest from the computer.

I'm sure you read most of the stuff on here about how to treat dry eyes. You might think about a visit to your General Practitioner and talk to him about your anxiety and obsession about your eyes. Many people have taken something temporarily to help them through this rough period. Good luck and be good to yourself. Lucy
    Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

lboogie, Lucy is correct. You may need to distance yourself from the bulletin board. I don't know how often you are on it, but it can become too much. Keep that in mind.

Do try to find things you can do to keep your mind off those eyes. I opted for audiobooks. I used to see movies as well...I could wear my goggles in the dark and nobody saw me. Movies were easier than TV, plus it got me out of the house.

It's all about distractions and hope.

D
      Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

I agree with Lucy and Diana. You sound exactly like me a few years ago. In my early days I was obsessed and was constantly on the internet. It is not good for your eyes or your psyche. At the same time it was really helpful for me to be able to talk to people who understood when I really needed it. Maybe you could just contact a "dry eye buddy" or two by email instead of coming onto the boards so much to check posts or privates messages. It can really consume you if you let it. At work, you need to force yourself to stay off the internet. I know how hard it is, but it will only add to your anxiety. Distractions are important, so try to use work as a distraction if you can. I used to take walks at night (with goggles) after work, and took lots of hot baths. Those were two things that would help calm me down. If you ever need to talk, feel free to send me an email. My address is available on the site. Good luck, and hang in there. Things will get better.

-Shells

Comment

Same here

lBoogie: I am doing the same thing. I just dwell on my dry eyes all day long. One day I'm so happy because my eyes feel great and the next day I'm right back to that windy feeling INSIDE my own home. I'm actually doing that right now. My stomach is in knots. I do agree that I also need to stay off the internet. I read a lot of depressing stories and that does not help. My eyes just started like this at the end of January. I cannot figure out what has happened. I have used Restasis for 3 days now. Maybe that will kick in eventually but right now, I need to get over the MENTAL part of it all. My eyes actually seem to feel fine if I don't sit and think about them, but the minute the problem of my eyes comes back into my head, there I go again with that sick feeling. UGGGGGGGGGh. Sorry to seem so depressing myself but I just wanted you to know you're not alone. Take care.

Comment

eliminate symptom in order to reduce worry

I'm thinking it may also help to use protective eyewear ANY time the windy sensation kicks in, because that sensation is impossible to ignore, and can trigger worries that may be out of proportion. . .Just pop on some protective eyewear, and tell yourself that 1) the dryness and/or windyness by no means need to be assumed permanent, and 2) if these symptoms go on for a while, relief IS available, so that while waiting for some long-term improvement, one can still function and be productive. . .

Does it help to know that one can experience dramatic improvement even years after symptoms develop? I am not a LASIK patient, but I am finding that the eyes never seem to lose their capacity to evolve and heal from chronic disorders. . .We may not be restored to perfection, but we can, in many cases, be restored to a level of comfort. . .(For me, the trigger of the big change was high-oncotic pressure eyedrops. . but for 10 years, moisture chamber glasses kept me comfy, relaxed, and productive. . )
            <Doggedly Determined>

Comment

Working...
            X