Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wow! First helpful advice in eight weeks!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow! First helpful advice in eight weeks!

Just been to see my optician to try to get to the bottom of being unable to wear my contact lenses.

I think he's cracked it, but can't understand why on three trips to the eye hospital, they didn't notice I have a few blocked Meibomian glands (he says not all of them, but some).

In fact, I noticed this morning that a tiny pin prick of white came from one of these glands after I got out of the shower.

So, he tells me to do hot compresses religiously for two weeks and it should sort the problem.

Also, as I became allergic to Viscotears, he says it also means I'll be allergic to my contact lens solution. So he's changed that to hydrogen peroxide solution.

He was very kind, patient and helpful and not as rough as the nurses at the eye hospital who made me nearly scream the place down while swabbing my eyes!

He's assured me I will be able to continue wearing lenses, but to try "one thing at a time" and also to find a more cost effective solution than just automatically changing my lenses to daily disposables.

Here's hoping that this sorts the problem out!!! I hope you all here have found an understanding practitioner willing to help you get to the bottom of what's happening with your eyes -- it's certainly given me some hope after eight weeks of uncertainty.

Blocked Meibomian Glands Also

Hi there. I too was told I have a couple of blocked Meibomian glands on my upper eyelid. The eye dr. did not check this on the first visit and wouldn't have checked for that on this last visit had I not brought it up. She also said to use warm compresses but that was about it. I know your eye dr. said to religiously use warm compresses but exactly how often is that.....twice a day or more? Also, did he/she say what to use: rice bag, warm wash cloth, etc etc. I hadn't really taken it seriously until I read your post and it's worth a shot to do the compresses "religiously" if it really helps. It feels great anyway if you soak in the tub with a warm rag on your eyes. Thanks for any info. Take care!

Comment

Hi Jane,

He suggested a warm wash cloth on each eye for at least one minute, twice a day (morning and evening) or more often if my eyes feel particularly dry. He said to keep soaking the cloth in warm water (they cool quite quickly).

It does make a huge difference to me

Comment

Originally posted by faithlies View Post
        Hi Jane,

He suggested a warm wash cloth on each eye for at least one minute, twice a day (morning and evening) or more often if my eyes feel particularly dry. He said to keep soaking the cloth in warm water (they cool quite quickly).

It does make a huge difference to me
        keep them 5 minutes it will be even better for your glands!...and be sure that the cloth is really on the eyelashes (where the glands are) so you make sure they unblock good luck!

Comment

Thank You!

Comment

Rice Baggie

I 100% recommend buying Rebecca's rice baggie from the dry eye shop. You pop it in the microwave for about a minute and it really holds it's heat. It has helped me so much and my eyes feel fabulous after using it. Better than any washcloth I've ever tried.

Comment

Ditto on the rice baggy. I don't know what I would do without it... Really...

Comment

Working...
              X