Azasite - Any Problems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Azasite - Any Problems?

There seems to be something wrong with the other Azasite thread, so I'm starting a new one here...
    I've just gotten a prescription filled for Azasite. I'm supposed to start taking it tomorrow.
    I'd really like to get some feedback from anyone here who has used this drug. Dr. L told me that a lot of people experience stinging when they put it in and that the stinging sensation may last for quite a while. Did anyone here experience that? If so, how long did it last for? Did you find any way to alleviate the problem? Does it help if you use artificial tears just before or after you put in the Azasite?
    Thank you for any input!

Hi NYer,
    My sister used azasite and she did say it stung quite a bit the first time she used them. She then used systane drops 5 minutes before the azasite drops and the stinging was much reduced.
    Eileen

Comment

Thanks, Eileen, that's very helpful. By the way, was the Azasite effective for her?

Comment

Can anybody please explain me what exactly Azasite is? I've read some threads but somehow I don't understand it. I thought it was for pink eyes only... What does it do to your eyes? When do you get a prescription??....

Comment

Steph,
          Azasite is a topical eyedrop made of an antibiotic called Azithromycin. It's is the same drug as the oral pill "Zithromax" or "Z-Pack" that you may have taken for upper respiratory infections or other conditions.
          Although it's an antibacterial, it's use in the eye is also as an anti-inflammitory.
          It's only been FDA approved for pink-eye, which is why that's all you're finding on it when you look it up. And that's a 7-day therapy. Doctors are now using it for other conditions that require longer use to clear up.

Comment

NY'er,
            I think she used it for a week but didn't think it made much difference. She has ocular rosacea but no blepharitis.
            Eileen

Comment

Working...
            X