Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CRT and dry eye

Putting this out there for any ODs who care to comment:

Did you read Paragon's email blast this morning discussing use of their CRT lens in patients with "low to moderate" dry eye?

I know soft CTL intolerance has always probably been a key market driver for CRT, and granted I don't read everything out there, but this last email was just about as aggressive a push in the "CRT for dry eye" direction as I recall seeing lately. (I don't know how else to describe an email with a subject line of "PARAGON CRT® Emerges As An Answer To Eye Dryness & Discomfort".)

There is something about this that I find worrying. It's so easy to grab at a superficial solution to either dryness or CTL intolerance rather than get at the real root of the problem.

Among other things I would worry that some of these ostensible "low to moderate" dry eye patients are actually at increased risk for whatever dangers might be posed by overnight wear with a compromised cornea. For example, there are a lot of people whose cursory exams yield "white & quiet" corneas with "normal" tear production... but who have lurking undiagnosed conditions particularly affecting them at night such as nocturnal lagophthalmos, posterior bleph or even ABMD and mild erosions. This forum provides ample proof of how long, and how many doctors, it sometimes takes before these conditions are diagnosed, let alone treated. I have never taken the time to review the medical literature about CRT so I honestly don't know the contraindications and who's at elevated risk for complications with night wear of the lenses - but this thing is motivating me to make time.

Thoughts?
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

This gets a big red flag from me.

No overnight wear (.!)

Comment

Working...
    X